RETREAD TIRES?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RETREAD TIRES?!

http://www.hi-tec-retreading.com/

What do you guys think about retead tires? I know that here at work we put retreads on our big rigs and they last awhile, but I had never heard of retreads for light trucks and offroad use.

This probably falls into the "if it sounds to good to be true..." category.

if that top link doesnt work http://www.mallmerchant.com/retread...out to be decent I might get some for my EXP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About six months ago, either Four Wheeler of 4Wheel and Offroad did a product test review on Hi-Tec tires. They were very surprised on the quality and performance. I think they tested a set of 33" muds.

just make sure the new tread doenst look like a wilderness.....those have a tendency to separate..hehe :)

i just got an email back from a sales rep from Hi-tech retreads and he says the tread deesign is actually the same as a Dunlop Radial Rover and they are guarenteed for 20,000 miles but people are driving them 50,000 miles without any problems. im going to go ahead and get some for my dodge and see what i think. even if i only get 40,000 miles of good travel out of them the price is nearly half at $65 a tire and in long term that would be savings.
I plan on ordering this friday (payday) ill keep yall informed.
thanks for the replies

Just FYI, I had P235/75-15 Dunlop Radial Rovers on my '92, and they only cost about $70 each NEW from Tirerack.com. Check out their current prices at Tirerack dunlop rovers

thats good info. thank you. i definitely want new verses retread.

I was checking that same site today and I might get a set of those...
Gabe, did you finally get'em for the Dodge? Are they any good.
I was thinking that I don't drive faster than 70mph with the mudders anyway and the explorer is not that heavy.
The main reason why trucks blow their tires is really heavy load. Combined with the fact that they drive for hours so the tires get really hot. Another thing is that truck tires might be retreaded more than once.
A friend had some for another company on his Land Cruiser and never had any problems ( and he has a heavy foot!).
Any good or bad story here?

i dint get any yet, but a friend did and those tires freeking rock. he has them on his 86 f-1150 so he was looking for cheep. the tread is very simlar to the dunlop mud rover so you know that it works. im selling the dodge for my new project....... 69 bronco. if you know anyone that wants a working 3/4 ton for cheap i just need to get it out of the yard.

Planning on getting the 33-12.50-15 for the '74 Bronco- Has anyone else gotten these?

They offer some retreads over here. I've been waiting to get my lift kit on before I bought a set. Check out http://www.bronco4x4.co.uk
Listed under sport tires.
I am considering the Grizzly's (33x12.50-15), they also sell other brands (BF Goodrich, Goodyear Wrangler) but they are way more expensive.

Dead Link Removed

here is a good review of the hi tech retreads. i still havnt found an excuse to get these but i really want to try them.

Did anyone ever end up ordering any of these??? I'm in need of new tires, and I'm POOR, so these might be a good option for me...

Wow.. this is an old one. Is that site even there anymore? I'm having trouble navigating it if so..

i never did but 2 guys in my club have them one of them is on his second set. they are awesome! it is very interesting that this has been brought up as my tire budget is getting tight. i was thinking baout getting the 37s. i figure i can run them until i save up for some big meats and new rims for now i could run sotck rims with that size.

believe it or not some guys at pirate4x4.com rave about them.

so i read that little note as follows "NOTE:
Green Diamond Tires need to be run on all wheels of the vehicle they are installed on. This means front and rear of the vehicle, and will be sold that way only."

so does this mean you have buy 4 at a time?

oh and why is there a price difference if its a Green Diamond?

what exactly does the Green diamond mean? better construction?

it means that if you are buying some with green diamonds you need to buy 4 at once so that it covers their costs. green diamonds are a synthetic fiberlike pieces that they add to increase traction. Hank Grimmick from this board has them on his suzuki and likes them. they are for pees up north who dont want to run studs (illegal now) or snow chains (tire damaging.) they are suppossed to be awesome on ice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back