Passenger door latch coming loose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger door latch coming loose

Hi everybody. Great to find this resource. I'm going to do the newb thing and ask a question right off the bat. Did a search or two but couldn't find what I was after.

My 92 Eddie Bauer is developing a rattle on the passenger side door, I think from the latch getting progressively looser. It still latches and you couldn't force it open but there is enough play that it sounds like it is going to swing open if I take a left hand turn to aggressively. Is there are tensioning screw or something similar in the latch mechanism or do I have to reposition the latch pin on the door frame?

Drivers side door has already got the infamous door sag I read about here but now I know how to fix that (thanks to the search function). However I don't think the problem is in the hinges on the passenger side.

Edit: Just went out and checked it. Definately not the hinges. Full centimetre of movement on the bottom hinge on the drivers side tho...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Latch

Have you checked the door stricker
(the part the latch grabs on) with a big torx bit you can tighten it up. When the door is closed, is it lined up with the rest of the body ? To my knoledge there is no adjustement in the latch itself.

Hope this helps

Back