• Register Today It's free!

Ignition coil???

basheer_alis

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
My X just stopped working all of a sudden. I was about to pile and drive to my next appointment and my X won't turn over. Plenty of battery power. It was working about 3 hrs ago just fine. Could this be my ignition coil or something else? THanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of "no start" do we have -- the kind where nothing is happening, or where the starter isdoing its part turning the engine over, but the engine won't run on its own?

The kind where it clicks only once and nothing happens. Not a click, click, click, click, click, click, click, etc. Thanks

Battery/alternator.

nope...changed out the battery and no go. Usually what i have found in the past is that when the alternator or the battery go bad, it declines over a few start ups. This was a one time thing. Car was running fine, went out to my car, tried to crank and nothing happend. Spoke with some people here and they think it may be the starter.

As a last ditch effort, crawl under the front of your X and give the starter a good whack with a hammer. If there is a problem with the brushes this will sometimes loosen whatever is blocking the circuit and permit you at least a couple of good starts before needing another "persuasion".

I'm serious here. Give it a try.

Sometimes, tapping the starter will free it up, if the problem is the starter. I had this problem last summer. It would start when I tapped the starter, but wouldn't otherwise.
It could also be a bad connection between the starter and the battery. Make sure the cables are good, with good connections.

Back in October.. my starter solenoid got "frozen" in the ON position.. it would click just once... I beat on it a few times and it started.. I should have gone home.. but stopped to eat about 20 miles from home... bad idea. I tapped and beat on it for about an hour, even tried to bypass the solenoid.. and nothing. It was the solenoid on the starter, I had already replaced the one on the firewall. Good luck.

Shane

Guys...all good suggestions, but I don't think any of them are my problem...except for the cord. I have replaced the starter and the starter relay twice in the past 5 days. Hit the damn thing with a hammer about 100 times and no go. The first time I replaced the starter (5 days ago), it didn't start, so I hit it with a hammer. Waaalaa! It works! Day 4 (Sunday) rolls around and the magic dies. I hit it with a hammer again, and again and again. Nothing. So I relpaced all the parts under warranty (the relay and the starter). Since the solenoid is on the starter, I would think this is not the problem, since I relpaced it twice. The only thing left to do is to check and replace the cable. Doesn't look like fun though! Any other suggestions?

One more thing...the process of starting the car is as follows:

1. Switch
2. Battery
3. Starter Relay on the engine wall
4. Starter

Is this correct? I need to see which wires go where. It is a very cramped wire run, so I don't want to start looking in the wrong place.

That's roughly correct. I would also add (because every electrical circuit has to be complete) after 4. starter
5. battery (negative). Starter grounds through the casing, but if there were a problem with the cable between the battery and the engine.

I would bet the cable from the battery to the starter is bad. My possitive cable looked fine on the outside, but was still bad. I chased my tale on this problem for a while. The remote wire also runs from the starter solonoidOn Fender) to the solonoid on the starter wich is the wire that tells the starter to turn over. Also, when replacing expensive parts like the starter, I would go to a decent junkyard that will take returns. We have one here called U Wrench It. They take parts back no questions asked. I'm a cheap basturd.

Back