Replace Running Boards with Tubular Step Bars? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace Running Boards with Tubular Step Bars?

sharpshooter73

Reaction score
City, State
God's Green Earth
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS 4X4
I am shopping for a 2002 Explorer XLT and my salesman has the right color combination and options that I want, except... it has running boards. I hate running boards! If I still purchase the vehicle, can I replace them myself (I'm technically skilled) with the tubular step bars? What all is involved (ie cutting, drilling, etc.)? BTW - These would be the Genuine Ford parts (step bars), not aftermarket.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I helped my dad take these off his 99 sport. (These are highly proned to rusting where the plastic foot steps meet the metal.) They just bolt on / off.

1996Limited said:
When I helped my dad take these off his 99 sport. (These are highly proned to rusting where the plastic foot steps meet the metal.) They just bolt on / off.

I'll second that, mine have a hole rotted out on the drivers side rear bottom portion of the tube. Nice size hole at that...I keep putting a lot of weight on it getting in and out hoping it'll screw up and give me an excuse to make sliders. :D

That's got me worried now... I would HOPE that they aren't rusted on a 2002. So then this is a straight-forward unbolt/bolt up job?

They definately bolt up. Another thing our neghbor has a 3rd gen with the nerf bars and yes his rusted too. He works for ford and somehow got them replaced. (warrenty was my guess)

Bolt on yes, one thing to consider- I've noticed they tend to flex...honest opinion forego the nerfs and think up something else...make/get some sliders they'd probably hold up much better due to better construction/materials.

cdsl227 said:
Bolt on yes, one thing to consider- I've noticed they tend to flex...honest opinion forego the nerfs and think up something else...make/get some sliders they'd probably hold up much better due to better construction/materials.

What are sliders? Sorry for the newbie questions!

Back