New 5.0L Headers are HERE! | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 5.0L Headers are HERE!

Well those numbers are at the crank. My numbers are at the wheels. Which is about 22% less. So having my rear wheel horsepower the same as factory crank HP is pretty good. But toque is where I am hurting. I still haven't done much to solve them problem. I did throw a selectable transfer case in which I think will help a little. In my opinion I was losing power to the missing front driveshaft while it was off.

I am planning on getting it dynoed again here in the next couple weeks. After that I'll play around with getting the chip reburned, some new injectors (150k on mine) and so on and so forth. Should be getting a daily driver here soon. Once that happens.. it's all over. Pulling the motor and going from there... :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally getting your SuperDuty as your DD?

I agree with the front drive shaft. That is about the only way I can explain the 263RWHP / 353RWFTLBS with my supercharged 302 in my Ranger. What case did you put in???

I put in a manual bw1354. Had to use the AA adapter, with the AA output shaft, blah blah blah blah. Since it's a V6 transfer case I don't know how well it would behave on your Ranger. :D

I didn't realize those numbers were at the crank pully. My bad, well that kinda sucks then...I feel like a moron, I always thought the numbers advertised for new cars was at the wheels. But now that I think about it, it makes sense to advertise the numbers at crank. Kinda like advertising the size of a hard drive as 60GB when its really 57.22GB.

In my opinion I was losing power to the missing front driveshaft while it was off.
So your sayin because of the 60/40 rear/front distribution of the power in the AWD thats where your power is goin-since theres no front driveshaft installed? Just tryin to get my thoughts str8, I have never owned an AWD vehicle.

The three Explorer AWD transfer cases don't have a locked connection to the front output shaft. The design is 1/3 front to 2/3 rear split under normal conditions. Normally some power is allowed to go to the front.

With no driveshaft on the front, the viscous coupling would heat up, and hold the power back from going to the front. Meaning that more than one third of the power would want to go to the front. The AWD transfer case should be trying to limit the power going forward, but how much, who knows. I'd bet that the wasted power is being turned into heat in the viscous coupler.

Todd, good luck on your hunt for the next project. I'm still just starting mine.
DonW

I am having issues with the 351W eDIS components, so I may just build my 349 Boss stroker for this spring/summer. The 408 may have to wait until the fall/winter. Gotta love ever changing projects!

You are talking about the balancer, yes? How bad do you need a different size pulley, or is it the balancer that you are trying to upgrade? How many RPM are you shooting for? The 4.0" stroke should limit the RPM to a normal range.

Do you know of someone who could be asked about the different applications which were KB 2200's?
Don

great write up. Did I see someone say that they have re-released the ford motorsport headers??

ChopinOn22s said:
I got my FMS headers today, but wish I would have saved up for the TorqueMonster ones. The FMS ones look like **** compared to the TM's, but were $220 cheaper. Section did a dyno and got 7-8 more HP off the TM than the FMS ones. I'm gonna go ahead and put them on though, and whenever I do a head swap whens it's paid off, get custom 1 3/4" one made. If your going for looks under the hood, def. get the TMs.

Chopin just got them delivered today.

I had heard that FMS revised/re-released their headers. are they compairable to these TM ones?

They re-released them with EGR. But they're not better than TMs. They're not 1 5/8" and they're the exact same ones they were selling for $170 back when I bought them.

Section I wanna see the larger version of your avaitar omg it looks funny. Hope who ever did that came out ok tho...

Back