Push Button Ignition?

Soundguy01tx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Hey guys... Im having problems with my ignition switch... I can finagle (sp?) the key and get my car to stay running, but if i hit a big bump or sometimes (most of the time) when I try to start it, if i dont let it "rest" in the right spot, the engine dies... Ive been able to live with this... annoyed, but living...
Ive bought a new ignition switch, thinking that would be somethin i could replace... however, getting it out proved to be a task, and I never got it out... I'm just at a loss now trying to think what can I do?
Would having a push button ignition bypass what sounds like my problem? The idea was thrown out jokingly one day, but Ive started thinking "maybe I should see if that might be an option"... anyone know?
--Bryan

Soundguy01tx said:
Hey guys... Im having problems with my ignition switch... I can finagle (sp?) the key and get my car to stay running, but if i hit a big bump or sometimes (most of the time) when I try to start it, if i dont let it "rest" in the right spot, the engine dies... Ive been able to live with this... annoyed, but living...
Ive bought a new ignition switch, thinking that would be somethin i could replace... however, getting it out proved to be a task, and I never got it out... I'm just at a loss now trying to think what can I do?
Would having a push button ignition bypass what sounds like my problem? The idea was thrown out jokingly one day, but Ive started thinking "maybe I should see if that might be an option"... anyone know?
--Bryan

It sounds more like the electrical part of your igntion switch is bad, not the key switch itself. Ford has a bad problem with these in the early 90's and late 80's and even had a major recall but undefortunatly the Ranger's and Explorer's weren't included, I don't know why they use the same thing?

Either way this part goes down below the dash on the side of the steering column, or more so on top really. It costs less then $10. Best idea would be to buy a Haynes or CHilton manual and read up on how to change it.

Later Doug.

Back