ATTN: Flowmaster Dual 40 Series Owners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: Flowmaster Dual 40 Series Owners

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
... How did you do it? I dont see a muffler with dual in/dual outs...only the flowmaster 50 series!

I want to do dual Super 40 series mufflers but dont see a dual in/dual out muffler. What can I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i used a single in/dual out flowmaster 40, but you can get two single in/out flows, and have the muffler shop use a y-pipe before the mufflers. i think someone has done this before. they had to 'stand' the mufflers on the sides. i'm not sure if this reply is what your trying to ask or not, but hope it helps.

My stock muffler setup was dual in single out. Had them cut it off and put two 40s side by side(what willie said). Mine sounds really quiet though.

ouch that hurts only because I wud have to buy two mufflers now instead of one

Do you have the super 40? 2 mufflers wud b quieter than one??

I take it u also dumped the spare?

a competant shop can put dual mufflers and route dual exhuase without ditching the spare... if they say it cant be done, they just dont know how to do it.... a guy in hs i knew had a mounty, and he had dual flowmasters on it

Afboy143 said:
ouch that hurts only because I wud have to buy two mufflers now instead of one

Do you have the super 40? 2 mufflers wud b quieter than one??

I take it u also dumped the spare?
2 would be louder :D True duals are so much better than a y-pipe outlet.

I have single in duel out and you can just get a y-pipe before the muffler like this-
Y -- Heres the 2 pipes going into 1
l --muffler
ll - Then duel out for duel exhaust.

Sorry for the crappy diagram but i hope you get the idea.

ahh i get it. Wouldnt that restrict some of the flow? Maybe Ill just get true duals for my birthday

Yes it does. You probably want true duals, which consists of 2 mufflers.

I have a super 40 series flow master, with dual inlet and single outlet. Very good sound. the guy at the muffler shop cut an extra inlet in the muffler, because it has a space that is made for another inlet that is not cut. If you want to go with a single muffler this is a good setup. super 40 is quieter than a regular 40 tho, its more of the sound of a 50 series

No it's not.

no its not like a 50 series?

If I take a super 40 series muffler with off set inlet/outlet can a hole be cut on each side to make the muffler dual in/dual outs? I just dont want to buy two mufflers

No, not like a 50.

There is no place for an extra outlet. That mechanic's crazy. Why would you want the appearance of dual exhaust?

huskyfan23 said:
No, not like a 50.

There is no place for an extra outlet. That mechanic's crazy. Why would you want the appearance of dual exhaust?

why not? I LOVE dual exhaust. I had dual 50s on my old explorer and LOVED the look but wanted a deeper tone.

True duals have a better sound.

Husky- I have a single inlet duel outlet muffler sitting in the garage. Now this is starting to confuse me. It has a three inch single inlet, so would that compensate for the airflow?
I'm not sure if I should just sell it and get 2 single in single outs.

It would be fine, but for maximum flow 2 mufflers would be best. On a 4.0 it's not a good idea performance-wise if you're N/A.

For the next 4-5 years all performance wise I'm doing is Mac Intake, Chip(from Doug), and exhaust....Otherwise its stock. No roller rockers, Cams, or superchargers.
I have a 4.0 so is it going to hurt my performance or not? I know that having no backpressure will hurt it so isn't this creating some and making it better?

I apologize, I'm still learning with these V6 Explorers and I'm pretty dumb

Does anyone know whether that will kill performance? I dont think its worth making a new thread and wasting space.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will it be dual mufflers or just a y-pipe? Dual mufflers will hurt performance a bit, not sure about a y-pipe. That may be the same as a single. I'd go with 2.25" pipe though.

Back