ATTN: Flowmaster Dual 40 Series Owners | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: Flowmaster Dual 40 Series Owners

i also kept the spare, i have one pipe coming out each side of the truck. i think some places call the way it exits as "outlaw" pipes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What a hassle just to find out if the custom 2in/2out SS muffler could be made. My guy finally got a yes and ordered it for me yesterday. He was told he would have it in about 10 days. As for cost I will post when it is installed. He is crediting me the cost of the two mufflers he's taking back off and I'll pay the difference.

Will a single 3in dual 2.5in out fit good on a mounty? I have the v6.

Also, will 2 flowmaster 40s on my mounty take away alot of power, and how would that setup sound?

EDIT:These are the mufflers im bidding on I dont really want them, i was just messing around and im hoping somebody out bids me. I want to get a new flowmaster 40s thats single in dual out.

Does anybody have any experience with those new mufflers they have on ebay claiming to be the exact thing as flowmaster 40s but are cheaper because flowmaster's patene expired or somehting liket hat?

And does anybody have any opinions on these mufflers

could somebody please answer the question?

I found the same **** .
Why does noone make these products?
I bought a gibson exhaust- sounds low and smooth (actualy quiets the cabin at in 5th gear."i think although its a automatic." )
However I thought it was going to be a complete system with dual exhaust.

Bump.

Jonsen Sation said:
Will a single 3in dual 2.5in out fit good on a mounty?have the v6.
That's what I got for my Explorer. And its a V6 SOHC.

On a 4.0 V6, you can go one way or the other with exhaust tube size. A good amount of backpressure will ensure lots of low end torque. On the other hand, the engine won't be very happy trying to push large amounts of air through this much back pressure at 5000 RPMs, and you will experience no horepower gain over stock. If you go with bigger pipe or true duals, it will be easy for the engine to flow large amounts of air through the exhaust at high RPMs, creating an increase in power. But without the back presure of smaller, single tubing, the engine won't make as much low end torque. So it's really a trade off. The system I've heard guys getting an actual gain in power from is the flowmaster cat back single system (~$200 from www.summitracing.com) It is made from 2.25" tubing so there is still enough back pressure for good torque, but since it is mandrel bent tubing and a freer flowing muffler, it is easier for the engine to make HP at high RPMs.

Now if you have a V8, you can have your cake and eat it too. Since they don't need nearly the backpressure for torque, bigger tubing really helps on the V8s.

The shop installed my SS 2 in/ 2 out flowmaster yesterday. The sound is great ... not too loud yet not too quiet. It's less throaty than the dual but it sounds good. The muffler is tucked up high vs the low hanging duals.
The shop owner was a prince about it and charged me nothing. He didn't tell me the price for the custom muffler so I can't help you. I think I'll bring him a pizza tomorrow ! :D

How much did the dual pipes cost?

The whole system from just behind the flange/slip joint back was $580. That was all SS, 2 FM mufflers (now a 2/in 2/out), 2 1/4" pipes, SS tips and labor. I'll be getting it dyno'd again shortly to see if there was any improvement but it looks/sounds nice.

icepounder said:
The whole system from just behind the flange/slip joint back was $580. That was all SS, 2 FM mufflers (now a 2/in 2/out), 2 1/4" pipes, SS tips and labor. I'll be getting it dyno'd again shortly to see if there was any improvement but it looks/sounds nice.

damn thats expensive

That price was actually just about right for my area. Considering Midas would have wanted close to that ($435) for aluminized and clamped on versus SS and welded I don't think it was too bad. :)

Back