Subaru Outback Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Subaru Outback Sport

Well, I think I have narrowed my choices down to two 2002 Outback Sports. One is an automatic with keyless entry and low miles and the other is a manual with upgraded stereo and low miles. Now begins the haggling for a low price. Speaking of which, what are your tips for haggling down a seller (dealer and private) to a low price that both parties can agree on.

Here is the automatic (Subaru dealer)
7740G.jpg

Here is the manual (Private seller)
1325352311.179474041.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hokie said:
Why buy something expensive and flashy to just get stolen/broken into when parked at the METRO parking lot?
Thats why I got an Explorer. Theres so many no one wants to steal them ;)

VBVA- I like the black one. But then again im partial to black cars.
Thats why my Xplor is gloss black.

VBVA said:
Here is the manual (Private seller)
1325352311.179474041.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Definately go with the manual... an auto would be boring. Those little Imprezza's are pretty quick!

And you'll probably have better luck talking down the private owner. But with dealing with both of them, say your price, say you'll pay it today. Drop the cash/check on the table in front of them (if they seem unsure but interested). Don't be afraid to walk, there are plenty of these and I can help you upgrade the stereo (ie: don't le that be a selling feature)

Yeah, you're right, I do think a manual would be more fun.

I won't be able to offer him money today, but I could offer it for a few weeks in the future. I am prepared to haggle for all its worth trying to get his price down to my offer.

I'm going to drive the 5 speed manual tomorrow. Has 36,000 miles on it and the guy says it's in "good" condition, so we'll see. He is asking $14,000 and Blue Book is $12,300, so what's fair market value you think? I'm prepared to fight up to $12,000 max, and by max I mean I don't even want to get up that high.

Also, has anybody ever taken a private seller's vehicle to a mechanic and had it so called "certified"?

Banks use NADA not Kelly Blue Book. You may want to keep that in mind and make sure you look that up as well.

5.0inprovo said:
Banks use NADA not Kelly Blue Book. You may want to keep that in mind and make sure you look that up as well.
I did, trade in value was $12,425.

VBVA said:
Also, has anybody ever taken a private seller's vehicle to a mechanic and had it so called "certified"?

If the private seller isn't willing to let you take the car to a mechanic for an inspection, then I would walk away. Unless you know the car well (or are getting a real cheap beater), I would always have it inspected.

I took it out yesterday for a test drive, it felt really nice. The guy is the original owner and is stepping up to a Dodge Ram because his business needs him to have something a little bigger. He has kept great service records and al services have been performed at the local Subaru dealer. I think when I get it inspected in the next couple weeks I am going to take it to that dealer.

I offered him 11K and he said he really wanted 13K. I told him that Blue Book and NADA were less than 12,400 and he flinched. He said he wanted to get at least 13K b/c thats what a dealer would sell it for used. I specifically told him I wasn't going over 12K, he responded that he'd have to think about it.

Back