which engine? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which engine?

huskyfan23 said:
It depends on the block you start with. There are 500+ hp N/A 302's.

Thats a bolton for sure, moter mounts, tranny, all bolts :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0 of course, where is the argument? What valid reason, money aside, is there to have a 4.0 if you could have a 5.0. I have a 4.0 and love it, but would I like another 100-150 hp? Of course.

dreamr said:
My opinions :D
The 5.0 is the engine to have as it has a hell of a lot more potential than either 4.0.

For the stock engines
4.0 OHV= great low end torque and will run forever and ever and ever and ever.

4.0 SOHC= better top end than the OHV at the cost of that low end grunt, but it has not proven to be nearly as reliable. I am sure that given time the bugs are getting worked out though.

5.0 OHV= The same upsides as the 4.0 OHV, but better balanced top and low end. Kinda like having the best of both 4 liters with more modding potential.

In summary the 4.0 OHV is better for towing and offroad. The SOHC is a better speed racer motor, and the 5.0 has got it all.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me too. I love durability so I love the 4.0 OHV. I think that the 5.0's are okay but most of the features they offer are wants vs. needs. I want an economical truck and it's bad enough these vehicles suck on gas. The power you get, I believe at this juncture your giving reliablity in return to some extent which is fine for most people. My idea of a good engine is one I can run and run and run and run with minimal problems....not the one that has the extra bennys.

Next on the menu is a 5.0 OHV and I am a pushrod guy. I prefer the cam in the block but it's more of a reliability issue for me. Again, if you asked me in my twenties I would probably want the horses but I don't need them now.

The 4.0 OHV run forever??? These things are nothing compared to the Honda engines. My 4.0 has numerous problems, it is far from reliable in stock condition.

Proper maintenance does help it run..

hmm i think huskyfan23 is on to something!

hmm i think huskyfan23 is on to something!
Nah! Didn't you guys know that Toyotas and Hondas can run 2,000,000 miles without a single oil change? :p
4.0L OHVs are extremely reliable. I took my 92 RedEB nearly 179K miles and I only had to replace the thermostat and the upper intake manifold gasket. Pretty damn good IMHO.
(also shocks, brakes, etc...but that is normal maintenance)

My 4.0-t-stat, head gaskets, fan clutch, AC condenser, radiator. Plus the normal routine maintenance. 130,000 miles

My Honda Accord-Just routine maintenance. 140,000 miles

well i"ll have to find out myself!

yeah, cause my 98 sport is all stock, except for yoko at's , and this thing hauls a**. seriously, i mean it has auto tranny but 4.10 gears and pulls hard,wow. i lined up to my buddies '00 grand am gt h.0. yeah i know 4 banger, but quick. anyway i friggin' smoked him :confused: what!!!! i was two or three car lengths ahead before he was out of first gear, this thing whoooped him. for the most part i just drive the truck, once in a while find a nice trail or my grandfathers corn field to tear through, you guys know exactly what im talkin about ;) but... if you say the v8 has THAT much more power i'll have to find out for myself, off to the ford dealer tomorrow :D

svande8952 said:
My 4.0-t-stat, head gaskets, fan clutch, AC condenser, radiator. Plus the normal routine maintenance. 130,000 miles

My Honda Accord-Just routine maintenance. 140,000 miles
The smaller the engine the slower the wear :D Honda = slow, X = slow, but faster than Honda :p

Am I correct that the 5.0 is only available in the AWD (stock)? If so, that has to play a part in the decision. If we want a 4X4 (high and low range) or 4X2, we are stuck with the 4.0 (again...stock).

If it were just the engine, I bet most of us would have the 5.0 (I know I would).

Brian_B said:
Am I correct that the 5.0 is only available in the AWD (stock)? If so, that has to play a part in the decision. If we want a 4X4 (high and low range) or 4X2, we are stuck with the 4.0 (again...stock).

If it were just the engine, I bet most of us would have the 5.0 (I know I would).
You could get the 5 liter in AWD or 2WD, just no 4x4.

Oh I see, Thats why I never saw one in a 4X4 when I was looking. All the ones I happened to find were AWD. I never looked at a 2WD. I ended up with the 4.0, since I wanted a 4X4 with the low range. Thanks.

BTW: I just noticed you are in Texarkana. :cool:

y 4.0-t-stat, head gaskets, fan clutch, AC condenser, radiator. Plus the normal routine maintenance. 130,000 miles
That's not all that bad actually. My gf's dad's 87 Landcruiser had to have all intake gaskets replaced at 87K miles and he babies that thing. He had to have his manual transmission replaced at 125K miles. That engine is basically new except for the core itself. He has nearly doubled the cost of that vehicle just in repairs but is now riding at 225K miles. I have seen 4.0 in the X go beyond that mileage with much less cost.
Great engine!
I have the SOHC and, except for the O-ring and tensioner recalls, that thing has been dead reliable. I have 120K miles and nothing has been replaced except for sway bar endlinks and torsion bar adjusters. I shouldn't have said nothing...now I'm jinxed! :D

Yeah the thing about the 4.0 OHV engine that is great is it's weakness as actually it's strenth if your not in dire need for more power. The fact that the engine is designed to perform at it's peak on the low end...(Peak Torque 2800 RPM's I think) and max horse power around 3300 RPM's actually....coupled with the design of the engine makes it a workhorse. I've seen these babys get to 300,000 miles without any major problems at all. For me, that's performance...for someone else...they may grade perfomance by the horses pulling the carriage.

james t said:
That 215 at the crank is because of the severely choked factory exhaust/intake. The old 5.0 Cobra motor made 250 at the crank and was exactly like the explorer motor in every way except for a slightly larger cam.

I agree with the over choked ex and in. That is why on my V8 302 B11 engine that I got out of an 81 Couger I took off the heads and used them for boat anchors. The exhaust were severly blocked the combustion chamber was opened up to reduce emissions...hence lower compression. I got a set of early ford heads that have a smaller combustion chamber and better ex. and In. flow. Not to mention all the other engine mods.

In summary the 4.0 OHV is better for towing and offroad.

IMHO....the 4.0L ohv is NOT a "towing motor." Too little hp. Mine struggles (WOT-50/55 MPH, trans searching for a happy place) w/o a load (towing nothing) going up a 5% hill (Mt. Shasta and Mt. Hood).......I wouldn't want to even try it with a trailer. OK....I got 3.27 open gears.

AND (in the case of a 4.0L ohv 1st Gen), I'm not even factoring in the auto trans....which folks say is a dog, for towing.

Your mileage may vary.

Aloha, Mark

I just wish i had i ohv anything.

if i build another motor for anything, its going to a 347 stroker for my EX, even if do have to change trannies and everything underhood, thats what donors are for. the 302 in my old f150 was filthy inside (fresh oil change and it still turned up gritty black on the d-stick 5 mins later) and out and it never quit until my brother thought stopping for an overheat condition was an idiotic idea. the only reason i didnt rebuild that one was the truck was rusting away faster than stuff could be fixed.

302 5.0 all the way amazing engine!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was an easy one boyz. The 5.0 in undoubtably one of the greatest motors ford ever produced. It is a torque monster, easy to work on, you can beat the bloody hell out of it and it still keeps on running, and there are so many cheap bolt on parts that you can make over 300RWHP for less than you could rebuild a 4.0

Back