Completed first pan drop and tranny flush!!! But have another question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed first pan drop and tranny flush!!! But have another question

bwinterroth

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS V6 SOHC
Ok,

so I just finished dropping the pan, changing the filter, and flushing the entire system with 15 quarts Castrol Mercon V. I am confident that everything went 100% since I drove back home from my buddy's where I did the flush (about 35 miles away) without any problems what-so-ever. There was a thin sized layer of sludge in the pan, which i cleaned with paint thinner and I cleaned the magnet as well. Shifting seemed smoother overall and there were no slippage of gears. After I was finished with eveything I re-read over Rhett's method for pan drop and flush and he emphasized making sure that the filter o-rings were snug in their tranny holes. I remember fitting the filter into place and snugly tightening it to the bottom of the tranny until it was firmly pressed to it. I am concerned that the o-rings may not have been pushed all the way into the holes, but at the same time there is not a single problem with the driving. My question is: If the filter o-rings weren't inserted into the tranny properly, would I defintely notice performance-wise with the car? In other words, would I have to be an idiot to drive my car and not notice if the o-rings were not set in place? I really don't want to take another ATF shower again. Thanks

-Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you "pressed" the filter into place, did it stay put WITHOUT using the bolt?

In any case, I think that when you tightened the bolt, it would have pressed the seals/o-rings into place.

There is one seal on the filter. You might not notice a problem right away.

RiverRat, I think we have different transmissions. My filter has 2 o-rings. What do you mean that I wouldn;t notice it right away?

Sorry I was thinking aode style filter. I have seen these where the car leaves the shop and runs fine for a week or so before the customer notices any problems. I can't say for sure your trans.

Back