Repainting a black brush guard? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repainting a black brush guard?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scotch bright pads and

...rustolium

so if I take the guard off, give it rubbing and then apply regular rustoleum, it should look good? How long is spray paint going to last?
I am thinking of taking it off and ordering a WARN light bar if this paint idea does not work out.

If you really want it to look good, take it to a powdercoater and have them redo it. Otherwise you could sandblast and repaint it.

Thanks...

any idea on the cost of getting it re-powdercoated?

try rhino liner or the like.
or if you have access to a 'farm' store, get some tractor or implement paint, use the hardener and it's tough and almost scratch proof, it's what most of us up here use for frame, underbody, rocker panels and bumper paint. different colors, both gloss and flat, are available Normally cost is under $20 per gallon, and hardener runs about $8. brush or spray, recomend naptha to thin.

ken.

I used tractor implement paint on my hubs. GREAT stuff. Also, the bedliner idea is a great one. Tough as nails, and looks cool too. In one of the later Off Road Adventures, they bedlinered the ARB bumper.

I would sand it down and repaint with Por-15. it is an extremly durable coating that goes on like paint, but hardens to a very tough finish (much like the farm tractor paint). IMO Rustoleum is ok for parts that won't get stratched, but I wouldn't use it on the gaurd unless you plan on repainting it every year to touch up any nicks and scratches. I had an old rusted Grizzly brush guard I sanded down and restored in this maner. This Hella 500s on Grizzly Brush guard thead has a few pics and write up (but mainly details the light installation).

Take it off and get it coated with some spray on bedliner material. You will never have to worry about it ever again.

Rob, from my experience, bed liner fades as well too doesnt it?

Well, in that respect just about everything is going to fade over a period of time. The brushguard material is just going to protect you from any scratches or rust. I have used the POR 15 stuff, but you can't use it alone.

You first apply the POR 15, but then you have to coat it with one of their "paints" if you don't want it to fade. It says on their website that the POR 15 itself is really sensitive to UV light and will fade. If you use some of their hardpaint it shouldn't fade for a long time if ever.

dude it doesnt matter what you put on on it. If you want it to look good for what you got Rustolium is fine.

i think if you want it to look mint and last a good little while, skip the POR 15 stuff and go straight to latex paint. Just use more hardener. you can get a lil paint shop to do it for cheap. if you want to do it yourself... talk to the guys at the paint shop (sherwin Williams is a good place) and ask them what you need and how much of what chemical (reducer, hardner, pigment) is needed to mix your own paint. Then spray the sucker!

Back