• Register Today It's free!

AC not too cool?

section8joe

Reaction score
City, State
youngstown ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
My AC isn't very cool. Anything i can check to see if everything is working properly? Im not very mechanically literate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fairly common problem--probably a leak in the system. For mine, with the rear air, it was just infront of the rear tire. Luckily got it fixed just before warranty was up.

how can i find out if i have a leak or where it is?

i was looking under the hood and when i turn the AC on it kicks on then off. It turns on for a few seconds then kicks back off. Ten seconds later it will kick back on then off again. Any ideas as to why my truck is doing this? What do i need to do to fix it?

section8joe said:
i was looking under the hood and when i turn the AC on it kicks on then off. It turns on for a few seconds then kicks back off. Ten seconds later it will kick back on then off again. Any ideas as to why my truck is doing this? What do i need to do to fix it?

I'm not the right one to answer that, maybe someone else can help there. One option is to have the dealer or a good mechanic check it out.

Take it to a shop and pay the money, as this is not something that you can do yourself. You probably need to have the system recharged. The compressor should cut in and out, but not as often as you stated. This usually means there is not enough r12 in the system. Also have them check for leaks.

Your system is R-134. There is a wealth of info in the useful Threads forum on AC, but what you describe is sometimes called "short cycling" and is a generally and commonly symptom of alow charge. You CAN add 134 yourself, but leak checking may require a little more. If you choose to add get some with dye in it, and that way with a blacklight you can check for leaks should it need recharging again anytime soon.

My 2002 Sporttrac had a leaking compressor. Look for the different colored oil/fluid.

same thing happening on mine, you can hear that knocking sound the moment u turn ur ac on. its on the driver side engine bay u can hear the sound. very loud. it knocks every 15 seconds or so.

same thing happening on mine, you can hear that knocking sound the moment u turn ur ac on. its on the driver side engine bay u can hear the sound. very loud. it knocks every 15 seconds or so.

Major credit for searching...this is an old thread! :thumbsup: Check under the hood when the issue is occurring, it is most likely the compressor making noise.

Back