Faster MPH = Higher MPG??

LiKuiD

bahhhhhhhhh
Reaction score
City, State
Hillsborough, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB
Now I know the answer is no from the start, but after a trip I just took this weekend, i'm starting to think differently...

So I have a v8 with a MAC intake/exhaust. I've always averaged 17.5-18mpg on highway. I always drive between 65-70mph too. Yesterday I drove up to PA and was following my dad who likes to drive a bit faster then me. The whole way up we drove between 75-80mph. When we arrived, I was suprised to find out the message center reading 19.1mpg. I thought it was a fluke, but the MC has always been accurate since I put it in last year. So for the return trip, I filled it up (the MC regestered the amount that was empty by .1 of a gallon) and drove back home. Once again, following my dad who likes to stand on the gas, we drove 75-80mph but this time mostly 80mph the entire way. When I got home tonight, the MC was reading 20.1mpg! I've never seen those numbers on my MC before. After taking a closer look, all the numbers look right and I dont think the MC is messing up.

So why the sudden increase in MPG? The only thing I did different then any other time i've ever drive was just go faster. Now im curious....does driving in that 75-80mph range give you better mileage with the v8? Or was this just a random coincidence?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What time of year was it when you got the 17-18?

Well was it mostly highway driving? There's a certain RPM that yields the best mileage, you might've been in that range.

huskyfan23 said:
Well was it mostly highway driving? There's a certain RPM that yields the best mileage, you might've been in that range.

Yes. I have played with the MC ALOT of times on trips
60-70 = 17mpg
70-78 = 18.5mpg
79-85 = 20mpg
86-93 = 17mpg
94+ = 15mpg

These are at cruising speeds

In my many studies on various variables ( such as speed ) effect of gas mileage I have come to the conclusion that SPEED KILLS mileage.

I find that my mileage decreases at speeds over 68 MPH. I feel that the lack of aerodynamic shape of the Explorer roars into play at these speeds.

Are basing the mileage on numbers generated bu the message center? Or by actual miles traveled/gallons of fuel used? The later is the only truly accurate way to determiner mileage ( and even this can be affected by variables ).

Well if he's always relied on the MC and it gives a higher reading than usual, wouldn't that indicate he's getting better mileage? Unless the speedometer is inaccurate I don't see how the MC would be inaccurate.

aldive said:
In my many studies on various variables ( such as speed ) effect of gas mileage I have come to the conclusion that SPEED KILLS mileage.

I find that my mileage decreases at speeds over 68 MPH. I feel that the lack of aerodynamic shape of the Explorer roars into play at these speeds.

Are basing the mileage on numbers generated bu the message center? Or by actual miles traveled/gallons of fuel used? The later is the only truly accurate way to determiner mileage ( and even this can be affected by variables ).

We have two more cylinders, we don't care about your testing ;) (actually we're just jealous cause we get gallons per miles :p)

Its the aerodynamic advantage you got from the hood. :p

I think Al might be right, but only for that engine. I think the V8 is a different animal. With its increased torque it probably takes less fuel to chug through the wind than a V6 would.

Kinda like pulling a trailer at high speeds. You will have your foot in the V6 more than you would on something thats got the torque.

Shhh don't tell them about the hood yet! I'll show them later this week when my *other* toy comes... :cool:

Now back to the topic at hand...i'm gonna guess that the RPM band it runs at with those speeds is in fact the sweet spot for us 5.0'ers. Especially after what boomin said, those numbers look pretty accurate (at least in my case). I know from experience i've tried driving at 65mph for extended periods of time and got pretty crappy numbers.

The MPG were calculated by both the MC and actual fill up/distance calculations. The MC does an awesome job of keeping an accurate track of both, but I did it the old fashion way just to make sure, and it all checked out.

When the winter mix gas is used, I usually get 15-16mpg so i'm sure that has some play on it...and yes, it was all strictly highway except for maybe 1 mile.

So hmmm...the v8 can get decent mileage...now all we gotta do is raise the speed limit :p

I want your message center. I have owned five Ford and Lincoln vehicles with message centers, and they all read high for mpg. They have never been low, and rarely close to correct. Usually my MC would be in the 16-18mpg range, and the actual fuel mileage turns out to be 1-1.5mpg lower. I keep a record of all my mileages, in all of my vehicles.

I have generated numbers in the high teens, or just over 20mpg. But that's always been the MC numbers, and they were always wrong. I wish that they could be adjusted. Night,
Don

it may have also been a change in gas. im not sure when the stations stop having the "winter" gas, but i have been averaging better mpg the las few weeks.

I also just took a trip this weekend and was running a little late so I ran a little faster than I normally do.(about 80) And I also noticed better milage at higher speeds.

This is interesting. I will have to test this theory. I am skeptical, however, as even a light tail wind can have a drastic affect on MPG. I have traveled extensively in the past from Sacramento to Pismo beach here in CA and have noticed that going one direction yields a better MPG than the other. Just something to consider.

BTW: MC's, while not as accurate as manual calculation, are consistent. If you are seeing an increase in the MC then you are seeing an increase, period.

Just be careful... trying to save a few dollars on gas could wind up costing you a few hundred in fines. :eek:

I would highly suspect that if you made that same trip by yourself under the same conditions, you'd find that your mileage would drop a bit. You probably gained an aerodynamic advantage from following another vehicle the whole way. Even if you're not following too close (i.e. drafting) there is a significant advantage to be gained from riding in someone else's turbulent airspace behind their vehicle.

I've eeked out almost 24mpg over flat land by following a semi for the better part of 4 hours.

-Joe

Well im about to make a 220 mile trip to southern Maryland so we'll see how the mileage works out this time. I'm going to have to keep the speeds around 70mph, because the cops love waiting for you on those desolate country roads.

Catch ya'll later! :thumbsup:

i've noticed that above 65-70 mine starts to go down, but i have the SOHC so its a different beast. at 70 i can average about 18, 75 is about 17 and 80 is about 16. 65 is just too damned slow so i've never tried it, but who knows.

Have you ever driven behind a big rig on the highway? Ever notice that you have less air noise? ......... I don't know what type of vehicle his dad was driving, but if you got the guts, you can tail a big vehicle and get better mileage, because the lead vehicle cuts the air some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LiKuiD said:
Well im about to make a 220 mile trip to southern Maryland...
NO!!! dont go to Maryland!! its DEATH!! DEATH!!!!! DEAAAATHHHHHHHH!!!!

ok back to studying.

Back