B94Sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
:fire: :fire:
My beautiful car, not yet 1 year old, that I have been so careful not to get dinged or dented, got sideswiped on the way home from work today!

Driving back from work, I was in the right lane and there was a truck stopped up ahead in the left lane waiting to make a left turn. So of course everyone in the left lane is darting into the right lane to get past the truck. So I notice a Saturn in the left lane, see that he has his turn signal on, and figure that he's intelligently waiting until the right lane is free of cars. WRONG! As I drive past, I see him merge into my lane out of the corner of my eye. By that time, it was already too late to do anything, and I heard a thump from the back of the car. Pulled over, he instantly admitted it was his fault... Checked out the damage, and there is a gouge in the rear driver's side door panel, the fender flare is broken and ripped off, the wheel is scraped up, and the rear bumper is scraped up. :mad: We exchanged information, and hopefully this whole insurance/repair thing goes smoothly. I called my agent and she said to follow up with this guy tomorrow to make sure he's called his company, and get a claim number.

Pics... Thumbnails link to fullsize images:
1s.jpg
2s.jpg

3s.jpg
4s.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to see that. It could have been much worse though. This is why you pay insurance, in this case, why the other guy pays insurance.

Take it to a good shop and you'll never know it happened :)

I'm hoping that whatever shop I take it to can match the paint well... Metallics are always hard to match. I guess if they spend enough time/effort blending, it will look good. You're right, it could have been much worse. I am wondering what they will do about the wheel... It looks like it will have to be replaced, since a few spokes are scraped up.

Get it replaced. When my green Explorer was redone they were able to match it up almost perfect. Orange peel was slightly different, but overall it was a very good job.

yes the wheel will have to be replaced. Dont worry man, since it was his fault, all you have to do is ***** and things will be ok

that sux about ur subaru at least the driver of the saturn admitted it was his fault.

thank god you didn't get hurt too

Just a subaru...not like its an explorer or something.

Just a Subaru? That's why this is in the All Other Makes and Models forum.

If this had happened to my Explorer, I wouldn't have cared.

hell I would love to have an STI, since its damaged goods now wanna sell it to me cheap?

Hmm, unfortuantely for you, driving it is still exactly the same, so I think I'll keep it. :p

Just got off the phone with my agent... The guy that hits me wants to pay out of pocket instead of reporting it to his insurance company. So this weekend I will be getting repair estimates. He'll be paying for a rental car as well.

heck yeah its cool when people can work together to aviod the insurance....at least you both have insurance.....friggin jerks w/o = high rates :) Do I see some custom flared and vented front fenders in your future?

Get the whole thing repainted. Subaru paint sucks to begin with, they only put on one layer of clearcoat, and it chips like none other. I just got an Outback Sport and I've already noticed tons of rock chips.

B94Sport - are you on NASIOC.com?

Oh yeah, you don't need to tell me about Subaru paint quality... I've got tons of little chips. Had a really big one that I filled in and wetsanded. That came out looking pretty good. I figure I will just wait until it gets really bad, then get the whole thing repainted a nice color like BMW's titanium gray, and get a full RockBlocker setup installed. I really wish that I would have done RockBlocker in the first place, but for some reason I never got to it. Luckily CGM hides the chips pretty well, and I can live with the little ones.

I am on NASIOC, as WR^2X. You?

I got repair estimates today... 3 estimates, ranging from $1,722 to $2,283! :eek: Good thing I'm not the one paying! The big cost is for a new wheel - $712.34.

I'm going to wait until I'm down to my last little nerve with chips and then have the whole thing repainted, but that is a little ways down the road. I have Sedona Red Pearl and it shows everything.

I'm the same name on NASIOC, VBVA. I don't post much, just lurk and read all the info. When I do post it's usually in the Mid-A Group.

Good luck with your repairs, I hope everything with insurance goes smoothly.

Another update:

After hearing the estimates, the guy decided to report it to his insurance company. So this morning I got a call from one of the agents there. They are sending out another person to do an estimate tomorrow. After that, I can take it to whatever shop I want, but the repairs must be done according to the insurance company's specifications. I don't know if that will turn out to be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm leaning towards the latter, but we'll see. At least now I already have a few estimates to go off of.

It gets done your way. Don't let it go any other way. When mine was done, they put cheap headlights that didn't line up on it. We *****ed until I got OEM ones. Don't settle for second best. After you choose the bodyshop, its normally between the shop and the insurance company.

Adjuster guy just left. He cut me a check for about $280 less than the most expensive shop (the shop I wanted to take it to)... Hopefully they can work that out without it costing me more money. Also, I did not notice until after he left, but he put the wrong part number for the fender flare on the estimate, and so it's a $22 part instead of a $98 part. That definitely needs to be fixed and covered by them, so I called the guy up and left him a voicemail.

luckily it is going good for you so far,,

just always a pain in the ass. dealing with that stuff...

Back