Wheel siz question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel siz question

The son of a friend of mine asked me a question about wheel size and I am not sure how to answer him.

Why would someone replace stock 15" wheels with 17" or 18" wheels? or even larger ones?

What are advantages and disadvamtages to the different size wheels ( diameter, not width )?

Thanks in advance .........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To run the same overall diameter, you're going to have to get tires with a lower-profile sidewall, meaning less sidewall flex and better turning. That's really all I can think of.

Advantages - Better handling, ability to run performance tires, improved look
Disadvantages - Expensive, can hinder brake and engine performance, tires themselves are expensive.

Like the others already stated a larger rim means lower profile tires. Lower profile tires are very stiff and responsive and offer great cornering. On the flip side this combination is bad for offroading and travelling on poor roads. A 15" rim has much more rubber between the rim and tread to soak up bumps and smooth out the ride.

Yes, handling versus ride quality. 255/60/17" tires handle great, but the ride is rougher.
Don

techieman33 said:
one disadvantage is fuel mileage, bigger rims make it harder for the engine to push them, so more fuel wasted.
Yes, if they are heavier. My younger brother just switched from the stock 15s on his '92 Prelude, to a new set of 17s. Surprisingly, with the stock wheels being so old (wheel technology has come a long way since then!), his new wheel/tire combination weighs about 3 pounds less per corner!

B94Sport said:
Yes, if they are heavier. My younger brother just switched from the stock 15s on his '92 Prelude, to a new set of 17s. Surprisingly, with the stock wheels being so old (wheel technology has come a long way since then!), his new wheel/tire combination weighs about 3 pounds less per corner!

And thats what you want to shoot for, a rim that is equal or lesser weight.

Anyone know the weight of a stock Explorer I teardrop ) wheel in 15 inch?

Hartman said:
No kidding... If they have any interest in driving and performance, they'll look for something lighter, then worry about looks. If they just want some "bling" :p, more than likely they'll end up with something heavy that's pretty... :rolleyes: Ugh, I hate that crap.

I would guess somewhere from 18-22 pounds

-Drew

My stock rims(15 teardrop) with tires(30.5 x 9.5) on them weigh about 50-55 lbs. The 255/60/17 tire/rim combo(cobra r's with toyos) came out to weight 57 lbs.

there was a big article last month in a 4wheel drive magazine comparing 15 to 18 inch tires.. alot of it i think is younger kids. I can;t believe i can actually say younger kids. feeling old...
anyway alot of them like the big wheels and low profile tires..
a buddy i work with has a newer expedition and did that i want to say that he put 24 inch wheels on it he thinks it looks good.. wow i have to disagree.. not on such a large vehichle as he has...

Having just changed from standard 16inch rims runnning 255-75-16 tyres to 22 inch running 295-30-22 tyres I have noticed a substantial increase in ride comfort, less wallowy ride through corners, and a greater top speed, with my 16"s on I daren't take her above 110 mph and it seemed a struggle to get there, however once the new rims were fitted I was doing an indicated 130mph without really noticing, there has been no real change in fuel consumption....overall if you don't intend to offroad.....Do it ! Supersize Me !! :D

It's mostly about looks. Some people don't know or could care less how much more they weigh and how much harder they are straining their brakes. Bigger brakes are pricey, but if you got the money to get some 22s, go ahead and spend the money to upgrade your brakes. It looks goofy as hell to see Tahoes and Escalade EXT's at car shows with 26" wheels and 12" rotors behind them :rolleyes:

Hartman said:

But that's a thing that most wheels companies don't advertise because they're afraid people won't buy. The heavier the material to make the wheel, the cheaper it is to make it. Therefore more profit.

BeauJ said:
But that's a thing that most wheels companies don't advertise because they're afraid people won't buy. The heavier the material to make the wheel, the cheaper it is to make it. Therefore more profit.

True, most people don't buy rims for performance, they buy them for the bling bling factor. Not many people care about the weight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nippon said:
Having just changed from standard 16inch rims runnning 255-75-16 tyres to 22 inch running 295-30-22 tyres

Do you have any before and after pics? I am trying to decide if I want to go with 18 wheels or 20 inch wheels as an upgrade

Back