What is this?

swhite005

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
1991 Ford Explorer EB 4X4...

Looking under the vehicle, I noticed on the driver's side of the oil pan...a rubber boot containing two wires that lead into the pan itself. It appears the boot has broken and oil is covering the wires. The wires are insulated, but don't know what they are for. What is this? And, is it possible if the boot it broken, to have oil leaking out of it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil level sensor. Should the level drop too low, the oil light should come on.

-Joe

Is this sensor replacable? The rubber boot on it has exposed the wires and it appears oil may be leaking out of the broken boot. Is it possible for oil to leak out of it or is that probably coming from some place else?

I've seen them go bad before. They're not expensive (or they didn't used to be back when I used to sell them 10 years ago). You may want to fix the wiring and/or get a new/used connector to splice in its place.

-Joe

I haven't looked at it too closely yet, but do you have any idea how it comes out of the pan? Just pulls out or does it take something else? Is it possible for oil to leak out of the broken boot?

Should they ever go out?

I've changed that part before. it's for the CHECK OIL lamp, on the lower RH side of the dash, if i remember correctly. You can replace it, i remember it being less than thirty bucks or so. not too bad. I believe it was a ford part only, but i could be wrong.

Back