Buying one, Year specific-issues?

Raceit

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 2DR 4WD XL
Hey all, I've been away from this site for a while because I've had other vehicles. But I want to get another Explorer! The one I had was a '91 XL and now I'd like to get like a 97, 98, or 99...maybe a 00 if the price is right. 4 door, AWD, XLT or better. I was thinking of spending around 5 grand on it. So that puts Explorers around those years around 100K miles from what I've seen around me.

I was wondering about any year-specific issues with either the 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Even things like ease of working on the two different engines. Things to look for when shopping for either one with around 100K miles on the clock.

Would it be a good idea to take an OBD-II scanner with me to see if a perspective Explorer is throwing codes?

I understand with that many miles different things are going to start coming up for maintenance, like the tranny for example. Any other common age related issues?

I would really appreciate any advice on looking for a reliable Explorer after being "out of the loop" for so long.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be intersted in knowing this information also. I joined this forum just today.
Selling a 2003 Dodge 2500 with HO Cummins and 6sd. Love the truck don't like the payments. Looking at buying an explorer. The basic mechanicals don't scare me as I can replace a water pump or trouble shhot electrical. My main concern is the Auto Transmission. I am looking at explorers with 107,000 to 200,000 miles on them. That is what I get in the $1.00 to $5,000.00 price range I have to pay cash for. (remember no car payment please)
From what I can tell from searching these forums the 5.0 V8 and Auto seem to be fairly bulletproof and reilable. The 4.0 V6 is slightly better on fuel but the auto trans seems to need more repair.

Just my two bits.

Hope you get some replies soon.

Saulnier

My truck's got the 4.0 OHV(since Ford decided Sport models should come with 5.0 V8s... wusses). It's at 191k and the transmission rides like new(as does the whole car). It was properly maintained, and has the towing package so its always had a transmission cooler. In any case, my roomate had a '95 ranger, almost exactly like my explorer but with way less miles(his was around 120k as I recall). However, his transmission was jumpy at random times during driving. It would lurch forward at a random time in driving, not even after shifting or anything. In any case, he never got that problem checked out, and eventually his transmission died. Unfortunately, it happened to be int he middle of an intersection where he was prompty hit by an old Honda. According to him, he found out what the problem was after the accident. His Driveshaft was laying in pieces on the ground next to his truck, not in its proper place! Needless to say his truck got totaled.

Moral of the story, miles means nothing, its the upkeep that makes the difference.

As far as year recommendations, I'd go with the 98+s since they have a nicer looking tailgate IMO.

When I had my '91 I had a aux tranny filter on it. I actually got better shifting after that installing that. When I got rid of the Ex it had over 200K on it. So I'm a big believer in taking care of the tranny.

The V8's with the 302/5.0 engine and 4R70W are by far more reliable than their V6's counterparts, unless you can get a 5spd manual.

The V8's did not come with 4x4, only single speed AWD.

How do you know?

I talked with a friend of mine that is an ASE certified mechanic. He says that the only way to know if the trany is good from the outside is to:

Look at and smell the fluid.
Drive it and see if it shifts right and smooth.
Put a load on it and see if it slips. (power brake it to see if it has any slip at all)

That is about all you can tell from the outside.

Just don't want to buy one and then have to spend $$$$.$$ to replace a transmission.

Buying used is taking a chance.

Saulnier

Saulnier said:
I talked with a friend of mine that is an ASE certified mechanic. He says that the only way to know if the trany is good from the outside is to:

Look at and smell the fluid.
Drive it and see if it shifts right and smooth.
Put a load on it and see if it slips. (power brake it to see if it has any slip at all)

That is about all you can tell from the outside.

Just don't want to buy one and then have to spend $$$$.$$ to replace a transmission.

Buying used is taking a chance.

Saulnier

Do just that when checking out your used cars. I bought my 97X 5.0 in July on 2002, 62k. Test drove her and knew she was in great shape, the previosu owners even had every single service slip, etc. Perfect! I also had all teh fluids changed right away, etc, the best way to kepe a car in good shape, or help get ride of what's been in there causing some damage.

My sister just bought a 98X SOHC with 85k 2 weeks ago. A little over $7k, XLT, leather, etc. New brakes all around, it feels and drives great, you just need to check it out and get a feel for everything!

98-01 v8's were the best out of the bunch:
reasons:
98+ motor had gt40p heads, tranny was built better
98+ tortion bar adjusters changed for the better
98+ exahast manifolds are better along with new external EGR
98+ rear end looks better

still thinking, will edit

the 95-97 seem to be better. if you watch the forum. they seem to have less problems. if it was me..i would get a 96-97 limited or EB 5.0 AWD.

96limitedX said:
the 95-97 seem to be better. if you watch the forum. they seem to have less problems. if it was me..i would get a 96-97 limited or EB 5.0 AWD.

Things only improved in the newer years with the 5.0's :rolleyes:

just sayin what i noticed..there seems to be more probs with the 98-01s..(all of them) from interior issues to motor an tranny issues. to the bodys(i have seen more probs on this board with 98-01 5.0 exs then 96-97 5.0s) he asked for an opinion. im sorry you dont agree.

blend door was 96 and 97, bad tortion bar adjusters 95-97. Bodys are EXECTLY the same except for the rear tails and hatch. All v6 trannys suck, first year of 97 had the sohc which had alot of problems. The sohc still had few problems (intake gaskets 97-00 and cam tentioner cassettes 97-99), but to avoid most of the problems 98-01 v8 would be the pick of the best

BTW:
96-97 = 2 years
98-01 = 4 years

boominXplorer said:
blend door was 96 and 97, bad tortion bar adjusters 95-97. Bodys are EXECTLY the same except for the rear tails and hatch. All v6 trannys suck, first year of 97 had the sohc which had alot of problems. The sohc still had few problems (intake gaskets 97-00 and cam tentioner cassettes 97-99), but to avoid most of the problems 98-01 v8 would be the pick of the best

BTW:
96-97 = 2 years
98-01 = 4 years

different bumpers front a rear(99-01) an the fender flares..ect. anyway what i meant by more body issues was the paint. there have been lots more probs that i have seen with 98-01 paint. again this is just my observations(sp?) an again it was an opinion ;)

an the thing about the v6s...thats why i told him a 96-97 v8 AWD would be the best IMO.

Most of the 98+ modification to the 5.0 happened in mid 97. If you find a 97 with a build date of May 1997 or later, you're all set.

So.......
Can you convert a 5.0 V8 AWD to "real" 4X4?
With 2H, 4H, and 4Lo?

Saulnier

Not very easily.

Saulnier said:
So.......
Can you convert a 5.0 V8 AWD to "real" 4X4?
With 2H, 4H, and 4Lo?

Saulnier

I've been working on this project for over a year. Getting close, but not there yet.

Back