DeJello goes Topless and Doorless (Pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DeJello goes Topless and Doorless (Pics)

they litterally unplug from the unit they power (speakers...ect..). But if you want to put an inline disconnect you can use just about anything you want aslong as its for the right gauge wire. 16 i believe is what is it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is one main plug that unplugs. This plug is located just inside the hole (on the truck side) that the rubber boot with the wires running through it mounts to.

Oh man. This whole time 99stocksport(?) and I were trying to find out what kind of plug we could use to take the doors off, temporarily. (I think the thread was "door removal" or something like that). Thanks Brian. My doors will come off for a little bit in about 2.5 months...when I hope to do the SAS :D :bounce:

There were 2 plugs on each side for me. Were a pain in the arse to get to though. After much caressing, they popped loose. I like the no door look...
It's a good thing I don't have sawzall blades, cuz I was seriously thinking of taking the roof off. :D

That is so cool looking. You got me thinking about my doors now. Are you going to put tubes on the side that open up with some kind of latch?

Are you planning on putting a cage in?

A cage will go in before I take it back out on the trails for sure. Other plans are in the mix as well

bmxking5 said:
What kind of plugs did it have? Where did you get them at? I want to try this "mod" eventually...the door part, not the roof part. ;) :D

The roof mod is the best one, and as you saw it looks good on a sport

Went cruising last night and got the strangest looks...and a lot of 'Dude!! You don't have any doors!!!'

Make sure you check yours states laws on rearview and side mirrors.

Got stopped by the local PD tonite...told me to go home and put my doors back on. Something about it's illegal to alter the vehicle. Gayness....

Are heeps allowed to take their doors off legally where you live?

Nice job. It looks really good :thumbsup:

hit_that said:
Got stopped by the local PD tonite...told me to go home and put my doors back on. Something about it's illegal to alter the vehicle. Gayness....

Interesting. Does that mean it's illegal to put bumpers on PU trucks that don't come with them from the factory?? :confused:

Hey Rick did you ever get any **** from cops about your doors? I havent driven mine much yet, most the cops around here our bricks and will pull you over for stupid ****. Im a little worried.

Rick said:
Interesting. Does that mean it's illegal to put bumpers on PU trucks that don't come with them from the factory?? :confused:

Who knows...around here they'll write a ticket for anything. But I think it's odd that I got yelled at for this and there's guys running around with trucks lifted 10" and modded to all hell.

Are heeps allowed to take their doors off legally where you live?

I actually asked the cop that, and he said 'jeeps are made to do that'. Total B.S.

That cop was full of Shiiiiiiiiiit.

Read this carefully. I am pasting the North Dakota Modification law for you and all to read. I will also give you the link to the Inspection rules.

39-21-45.1. Modification of motor vehicle. Except as otherwise provided in this
section, a person may not operate upon a public highway a motor vehicle of a type required to be
registered under the laws of this state with a weight of seven thousand pounds [3175.14
kilograms] or less with alterations or changes from the manufacturer's original design of the
suspension, steering, or braking system of the motor vehicle. The weight must be computed on
the basis of the unmodified and unloaded weight of the motor vehicle and without regard to any
ballast that may be placed in the vehicle. As to bumpers, motor vehicle height, and permitted
modifications, the following requirements also apply:
Page No. 19
1. The motor vehicle must be equipped with front and rear bumpers.
2. The maximum body height permitted for the motor vehicle is forty-two inches
[106.68 centimeters]. Measurement of body height is made from a level ground
surface to the floor of the cargo area.
3. The maximum bumper height permitted is twenty-seven inches [68.58 centimeters].
Measurement of bumper height is made from a level ground surface to the highest
point on the bottom of the bumper.
4. The vehicle may be modified in accordance with the following:
a. Any modifying equipment must meet specialty equipment marketing
association standards.
b. If tires placed on a motor vehicle have a diameter greater than that of the tires
on the motor vehicle as manufactured, those tires must comply with
department of transportation requirements.
c. The maximum outside diameter permitted for tires is forty-four inches [111.76
centimeters].
d. A horizontal drop bumper may be used to comply with the bumper height
requirement of subsection 3. The horizontal bumper must:
(1) Be at least three inches [7.62 centimeters] in vertical width;
(2) Extend the entire horizontal body width; and
(3) Be horizontal, load bearing, and attached to the vehicle frame to
effectively transfer impact when engaged.
e. The maximum lift permitted in the suspension system is four inches [10.16
centimeters].
5. A person charged with violating this section has the burden of proceeding to show
that the modifications are permitted under this section.
6. Vehicles owned by law enforcement agencies, the military, firefighting agencies, and
ambulances may be modified without regard to this section.
7. The director may adopt rules to implement this section.

http://www.state.nd.us/lr/cencode/t39c21.pdf

^^ The above says nothing about removing your doors. So I would continue driving around with a print out of the inspection. You can then hand it to the officer if you get stopped again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a note, I checked the Texas DOT code and the Texas inspection laws and didn't see anything about the doors here.. Make sure to check your local laws before doing any mods I guess.

On that note, a quick read of the previously mentioned code says nothing about the doors (or modifying the body at that unless you include the bumpers).

Back