2 year project complete-351w,ford 9",dana 44, 35s, with pics | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 year project complete-351w,ford 9",dana 44, 35s, with pics

well i finally got the thing driveable. i am still lacking a front driveshaft (that is why i am bearly flexing in the pic, i had to creep up in 2wheel) the tranny pan has a slight leak, i need to replace a rear wheel seal but other then that its rockin. the 351 has about 55 psi when cold and about 25-30 hot. the motor runs cool, not sure how cool because i dont have a temp gauge but i am running a large electric fan, a rigid fan off the water pump, and a 160 degree thermostat. its a four core aluminum radiator that is the the same size as an explorer radiator. i am running the tranny cooler in the radiator and an aftermarket one. there are still quite a few little things i have to pick at to get right but its basically done... well it will never be done, but you know what i mean :D :D

heres the specs..

94 explorer sport

5.8 ford v8
edelbrock carb
edelbrock intake manifold
mild cam
four core aluminum radiator
160 degree thermostat
electric fan and rigid fan
tranny cooler
remote mount oil filter
aftermarket radiator overflow kit
ford racing valve covers
c-6 tranny with wicked shift kit
new process transfer case, not sure which one

suspension
fullsize dana 44 with bronco coils
bronco shock mounts and coil buckets
cheapo shocks front and rear
no sway bars
ford 9inch rear end
heavier duty spring packs in rear
custom shackles

custom dual exhaust with chambered glasspacks
5" monster tach
sony xplod deck
mechanical temp and oil pressure guages

16x10 pro comp polished aluminum rims
315/75/16 xterrains

and thats about all i can think of as of now... if you have any questions feel free to ask

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks explorerdmb... like bmxking said, i havent had any really good pictures on here yet... hopefully there will be many more

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice setup. Good to see you finally got it on the road. :thumbsup: :)

When you start to wheel it, you will hate the Edelbrock. There are many tricks to get it to work offroad. I have dealt with this in the past. If you wanna know how to make it work give me a holler.

what kind of problems do you run into... and keep in mind, most of my wheeling will be silver lake, thats just shooting up hills, nothing slow on a steep grade and taking it down the backroads and trails to get to the best camping spot. there really arent any rocks or any slow technical trails around here. so i wont really be sitting on a incline for to long. i understand i might encounter some problems bouncing around climbing hills at silver lake. So yes, any information you could share would be much appreciated.

A stock Edelbrock carb is terrible offroad. It will stall on the smallest incline you can imagine. Good news is, you can fix this pretty cheap. You must do everything i mention to get it to work- do one or two things and it will still suck.

1- Offroad needle and seat. You can order this from jegs or summitracing. It is a must have. About $12.

2- Fuel pressure regulator. I think i got mine at Oriellys for $20. You want a manually adjustable one. Set it on about 3psi when wheeling. Another must have.

3- Set the floats as low as you can. I would start at 1/2" and adjust if thats not enough/too much (see first pic). You also must check the float droop (see second pic).

Attachments

• eddie2.jpg
    eddie2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,009
  • eddie4.jpg
    eddie4.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,022

4- There is a transfer passage on the backside that allows fuel to flow between the bowls. Block this off with a piece of vacuum hose. It doesnt have to be a perfect seal, just block most of it. If you dont, when leaned over the fuel will run out of one bowl into the other and flood.

Attachments

• eddie3.jpg
    eddie3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 996

5- You need to make a vent tube for the vents. Look at the top of the carb. There will be two D-shaped openings. These are the bowl vents. Gas will come out of these and spill over causing flooding offcamber. The best thing ive seen so far is to use a piece of 5/8" tubing bent into a U with holes drilled in the top (like people do on a Holley). You will need to crush the ends into a D shape to closely match the openings. Use JB Weld to epoxy it in. Make sure you make the tube so it will fit under your air cleaner. Remember to drill holes in the top of it.

Like this.

Attachments

• Picture006.jpg
    Picture006.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,000

DAMN JamesT...I am totally lost LOL...I just hope my fuel injected OHV keeps runnin while I'm out wheelin(sometime soon) or else I'm screwed cuz i don't know jack about engines!! :confused:

jamest thanks for the info. it looks like i have so more work to do now. haha well, i think i am going to try that carb as is next weekend at the dunes and then i will start playin with it once i get back. thanks for the awesome info

No problem. I went through it with mine, thats why i took pics when i finally firgured out all the things you have to do to make it work. One or two steps makes it better, but it still doesnt "work". Do it all and it shouldnt stall unless you side flop it. :)

james t said:
Do it all and it shouldnt stall unless you side flop it. :)
you would know wouldnt you? :D

yup. ;) It just took alot of trial and error to get it to run right. Funny thing is i finally got it to work, made one trip on it, and sold it. :p Its now sitting on a 454 in a guys jeep YJ.

every YJ needs a 454 :)

i want 502 ramjet in my explorer......

Wow, my dream has come true!

I have a choice of swaps for my Explorer. Either 302 or 351. I have heard there are problems with getting a oil pan that fits for the 351. Is this an issue?

I'm an old school hot rodder and personally I won't give ya a plugged nickle for those edelbrock carbs. I ran two of em and didn't care for either of em. That holley truck series carb is supposed to be kicka$$. I gotta say I am truly impressed with the X, outstanding work. I'm planning a 5.0 for mine. Still researching the wiring. After stuffing a 307 into a vega it shouldn't be too hard, just all the danged wiring.

:chug: :chug:

I can't remember the exact name of it, but there is a new carb available which I believe is made by Holley. It is called like the Low Rider or something similar to that. I've heard that it's better for offroaders, due to the fact that it's made for trucks with hydraulics, etc...so it's made to bounce around a lot. :D Just thought I'd let you guys know another option for a carb. :)

normal_explorer_009.gif

normal_explorer_011.gif

normal_explorer_008.gif

normal_explorer_007%7E0.gif

normal_explorer_006.gif

normal_explorer_005.gif

normal_explorer_004%7E0.gif

normal_explorer_003%7E0.gif

the paint might look a little dull because i havent washed it in TWO YEARS.... guess i know what i have to do "wax on wax off" :cool:

tell me what you think, like ive already said this has been a 2year project and a large accomplishment for myself, im only 18 and did about 90 percent of the work... im very proud of it, tell me what you think

these pics taken at higgins lake??

What Kind Of Headers Or Manifolds Are You Running And Do You Got Any Pic Im Doing Almonst The Same Build But With C4 And Dana 20

im getting ready to do the same swap and wondering about how hard it was to find driveshafts to fit, or how long you think it will take before i break my stock axles and have to upgrade(which will happen eventually)

Back