an extra at of oil? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

an extra at of oil?

JGAMBLE said:
yeah, but she's displaying all the other signs too harsher shifting, puffs of smoke, loss of fluid. I know it's a pain to replace, but at least it's cheap. I've heard you can get to it thru the floorpans if you remove the carpet, is this true? And how did this thread end up here?

:chug: :chug:

Good question .

I was following along yesterday and had to look hard for it today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you find anything. Found some website where a guy with a 94 said he got to it through the floorboard. Don't know which would be easier, but he said that way was. Find out soon enough I suppose.

well I still think it's the vacuum modulator but now there's something new to throw in the mix. Went to start her today and she backfired through the intake, smoke everywhere, and blew all the vacuum hoses off the intake :eek: Gonna do a check of the FPR saturday, but this sound like a fuel problem. Like I said none of the oil smells like gas. Man, she's gone from 5yrs of dependable service, to everything breaking at once.

well just finished changing the v/m and that was it. The old one was leaking like crazy. now when I have to do 15mph in the kid zone she isn't missing and stuttering :D Oh yeah, it was much easier to pull the seats and go through the floorboard, much easier :thumbsup:

extra oil

you didn't say if it was an automatic or standard. sounds like it could be the modulator valve sucking tranny fluid in to the engine. that's if it is an auto :exporange

He just said the problem was the vacumm modulator, he replaced it and that fixed it.

The simple way to see if the modulator is leaking is to pull the hose and see if it is dry. If it is then leave it alone. The hose would stay wet if it leaks. But this is not your problem anyway. The trans fluid would just get sucked into the intake and burn off. It can't get into the crank case.

Gas in the fuel is more likely the culpret. It should not smell like gas at all. One other od thought is that there may be a problem around your oil filter. I can't imagine what it would be but if the oil is not getting into the filter and bypassing it somehow then the level would be a little high. I still can;t figure out a way that that could happen but it is a place to lok if your oil has no gas smell.

>>>>>>>>>
I just read that the modulator fixed it. Please check the oil level more. The tranny fluid would cause smoke but the vacuum comes from the intake manifold from the pistons sucking air. The oil would go into the cylinders but could not get into the crank case.
<<<<<<<<<<

I too had this problem. When the engine starts, it had a puff of smoke. When I made a hard left turn, the engine clattered and smoked. Sometimes there would be tranny fluid in the vacuum and sometimes not. I replaced the modulater and that fixed it. The overfill in the crankcase came from the tranny fluid. After replacing the modulater it no longer had an overfill problem.

I still can't figure out how the tranny fluid can possibly get into the engine. Anyone have any ideas?

trollkepr said:
Gas in the fuel is more likely the culpret.

Ummmmmm, and this is a problem how???? I kinda prefer when that happens.......:D :D :p

oops hahaha Gas in the OIL is what I meant.

Back