• Register Today It's free!

Broken ignition switch?

itbejared

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4x4
Broken ignition cylinder or something in the steering column?

ok, went out to the explorer this morning because the wife said that she couldn't start it. I jumped in and oddly enough the clock on the radio was on even though the key wasn't in. hmmm... I put the key in the ignition and the very first thing that I noticed was it was very sloopy/loose when turning the key (fells as though no spring back at all) you know how once you move it to run, it 'clicks' into position, it didn't do that, i turned until it got to the point where you feel the spring back for the start position, but that too felt different, the key didn't seem to turn as far (only like a tenth of a turn) well needless to say she didn't start. I try again and still nothing. i take the key out and the stereo is still on.

I figured i might have a bad cylinder, so I pop it out and take a look at it.. looks absolutely fine. i pop the covers offa the steering column. and it appears that there is a slider pin in the column. I guess what my question is, i would perfer to fix this myself, rather than take it in to ford. I am just not sure if its a bad cylinder or if it might be something in the column. any help is muchly appreciated

ok... i figured it out... i just wish that my dang haynes manual went into enough detail so as I didn't have to do things the hard way.. there are two accuator links that run from the lock cylinder to the starting accuator. the pin between the two links had broken free from each other. in order to fix this I had to completely tear down the entire steering column and remove it from the vehicle. after total tear down only then could I get to the two links and put the pin (now floating freely) between the two. didn't cost me a thing in parts, just half a day and some beer... So i am not complaining at all... Maybe this will help someone in the future.. :)

Good information. Glad you figured it out.

-Drew

Back