need to beef up suspension for load | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need to beef up suspension for load

92fordexp

Reaction score
City, State
eden tx/lynbrook ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer
hello iam towing a 3500pd car from ny to tx and i know my engine and tranny will be able to handle it well i hope so lol. but iam a little concerend about the rearend i would like to beefup the suspension to be able to hold the weight. i was thinking addaleaf but i saw loadpro helper springs and was woundering what u guys thought and any sugestions not just for suspension would be great thanxs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Loading the suspension down with a load and traveling far distances are rough. If you have the stock tranny cooler - get a new one and change the fluid and filter soon. Also, I've heard a little about the "helper-springs" and I've heard good things about them. The thing about an add-a-leaf will be a rougher ride and have a tendency to look "higher" in the rear cause it'll add a small amount of lift to the rear, but will look like stock with loaded down (with the recommended tow weight). Good luck.

-Drew

My 2 cents....Find another way to get the car to TX. Is that 3500lbs just the car? Did you include the trailer? That's a mega long distance. A X of any year wasn't meant to tow a heavy load that far at once. Not saying you won't make it, however you will put a ton of wear on that 92 which I'm sure already has a ton of wear. By the time you spend the $$ getting the sus., & cooler taken care of, & with gas, your close to what it would cost getting it shipped.
Check into these..
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/helpersprings/index.html

i thought of that lol but i cant tow to vechial by my self so i kinda need to do this i just need it to get down there and be able to drive for about a year or 2 before i rebuild the engine it runs great just put new tranny in it boy its got balls i hope it makes it iam doing the suspension i just need to know if theres anything to do to the engine for power to help ive posted in the moded 91-94 x but no ones helping thanxs for ure advice? ill let u know how it goes i will stop to let the truck cool down lol

i added the helper springs to my explorer, i pull a 3500 pound travel trailer and the helper springs done what i wanted them too, i also added a larger tranny cooler to mine, knock on wood, i've never had a problem towing my trailer yet, thats why im a ford man

Look into the Tokico Master/Load/Ride Leaf (I don't know what to call it b/c I've seen it called all 3 before). It's a composite overload leaf that replaces your stock steel one and provides better suspension control and cushioning while pulling a heavy load. It should only raise ride height by about 1/2" (as opposed to add-a-leaf or Loadpro which is prominently used to raise ride height, sometimes by a couple inches or more) and the overload leaf with snubbers installed theoretically eliminates a hard bottom-out. I'll be putting a set on hopefully this month (with the Tokico shock package) and will let you know that goes. Though I don't tow anything, I do carry a ~200lb load in the cargo den everywhere and I will be lowering the truck by about 2". These leafs(leaves?) should provide protection from bottoming the rear end out over dips and such, plus it looks HD. :exp:

The additional trans. cooler(s) is effective tranny-damage prevention, but it doesn't do crap to help keep your suspension in line.

Hope this helped.

~stu

the trek master stuff i dont see a price anywere also do u know if they sell just the spring and not the shocks thanx

I know the leaf/shock kit is available at www.ajusa.com for around $300 and some change. As far as the availability of the leaf only, you'd have to contact Tokico (1-800-548-2549) but I don't believe it is available separately. I could be wrong though- it's been known to happen before...
~stu

I got a set of air lift helper bags on mine. The guy i bought the explorer from used it to tow a demo trailer and the springs were saggin like most do. It leveled it out great even when Im pulling my boat. If your leafs are still good, id get the air lift kit. Firestone also makes a kit but its more expensive. I paid 200.00 without a compressor and i just air them up at home or gas station.

Back