How fast can you change the plugs on your V6??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How fast can you change the plugs on your V6???

Keith303

Reaction score
City, State
edmonton,alberta,canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91XLT
I had todo it twice in the past 2 days. Starting with the tire on, It took me 9.23 minutes to jack it up, remove the tire and change all 6 plugs.

Im not bragging or anything but people always complain it being so hard to change them and its not atall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont exactly time myself when I work on my vehicle.......i usually like takin my time.....get to know the girl, not make it like a 8 sec ride if ya know what I mean

hmm..sprayed them with liquid wrench just in case they were siezed and then changed them from the top with little problems. Maybe about an hour or so with new plug inspection and plug gap check,antisieze compound on all and torqued to spec.

If I just swapped them out it would have been very quick.

About an hour if I take my time.

i decieded to time meself cause i had todo it for a total of three time and was getting good at it. so easy going through the wheelwell

9.23 huh It takes me longer than that to get motivated.

Keith303 said:
i decieded to time meself cause i had todo it for a total of three time and was getting good at it. so easy going through the wheelwell

Did you check the gap on the new plugs and torqued them?

yup, I recently completed all my matinence for the next little while

fuel filter
pcv valve
spark plugs
plug wires
cleaning of MAF

kmm intake
flowmaster muffler

it ran good before but runs awsome now, idle is rock solid.

my first time took 37 minutes i remember counting.

Figuring out what the hell i was doing, checking the gaps, spraying liquid wrench and givener.

could probably do it in 15-20 now but thats with big hands

Jack it up and remove the tire? Ha! The last time I changed mine I did it all without jacking the truck up or removing the tire. Try it again like that and see how fast you can do it! :) Note: This was done with stock size tires.

I know I don't have a V6, but have changed my plugs numerous times. Took the old plugs out, gaped the new plugs as a went, put the new plugs in within 15 minutes. All you gotta do is jack the side up a bit and they are a straight shot.

Wagonized said:
my first time took 37 minutes i remember counting.

We still talking about spark plugs.... ;)

Keith303 said:
I had todo it twice in the past 2 days. Starting with the tire on, It took me 9.23 minutes to jack it up, remove the tire and change all 6 plugs.

Im not bragging or anything but people always complain it being so hard to change them and its not atall.

That's because you have a '91. Try doing it in 9.23 minutes on a second gen. ;)

plugs, plugs, plugs!

Ya it's only the passenger side that makes you work for it...lol
Just need to turn the wheel in and get a long extention and a swivel end.
And for GOD's sake don't break the plug....

I like to use bosch dual platinums myself!
Is anyone else using platinum? :D

Motorcraft Platinium. I had Bosch in and truck idled rough. Motorcraft did the trick.

Why did you have to do this twice in one week?

Slow down.
Does your 91 still have fender skirts?

Put on a suspension lift and it makes it even easier :)
I dont suppose you were able to check the gap on each plug, clean and re-grease the wire boots in that 10 minutes did you?
There is such a thing as too fast :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to twice because I decided to change the brand. 10 mins todo everything!,no fender covers.

Back