What would you use for the main audio power wire? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would you use for the main audio power wire?

cgmiller83

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I've been looking around for what would be a good 1/0 gauge main power wire but there are so many companies that make them out there. Like Stinger, Audiopipe, Sound Quest by Stinger, Moster Cable, etc... I know a high strand count and has to be OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) to work the best. In your audio systems, what companies did you use. What do you think about some of the others?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I goy a 4 guage kit off of Ebay for $10. It's no name, & I see no differerence in that a name brand that cost 3X more.

i have power acoustic. seems to work fine for me.

cgmiller83 said:
I've been looking around for what would be a good 1/0 gauge main power wire but there are so many companies that make them out there. Like Stinger, Audiopipe, Sound Quest by Stinger, Moster Cable, etc... I know a high strand count and has to be OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) to work the best. In your audio systems, what companies did you use. What do you think about some of the others?

it doesnt need to have a high strand count, thats only for flexibility reasons. OFC copper is just another marketing tool. Copper wire is copper wire... its as simple as that. you can go to www.weldingsupply.com and buy 1/0 for 1.25 a foot but it wont have the nice jacketing that "car audio" wire has. its just a solid rubber jacket. the welding supply wire is also very flexible.

i would use stinger 4 gauge... that should be fine on what your looking for.... cheaper wire that you buy on e-bay has thicker jacketing on it and smaller wire inside it.... go to your local car audio dealer and spend a little extra... it is the lifeline of your system

I'm looking at running 3 amps. One for the front doors, one for the rear door, last one for the subs. The front and rear speakers are 360 watts max each. I haven't decided what sub or subs I want yet. The front speakers are going to be powered by a 800 watt max 2 channel amp with 2x130W RMS @ 4 Ohms/2x400W Max @ 4 Ohms and a matching amp for the rears. I'm think about adding kick panel speakers, which would mean a bigger front speakers amp.

I used KnuKonceptz and it was just fine. I believe they still sell through eBay.

cheaper wire that you buy on e-bay has thicker jacketing on it and smaller wire inside it

I've never seen that. If it happens then you were scammed.

I use 4 guage welding cable works great and its black so it dont need to hide it with that wire loom stuff under the hood and in the truck.

mechanic021 said:
I use 4 guage welding cable works great and its black so it dont need to hide it with that wire loom stuff under the hood and in the truck.
You do know that wire loom is used to protect the wire, not hide it, right?

Wire looms are to protect it from heat and if its black, to look factory. It also works to protect the wire from getting cut.

oh i know that its to protect it but i mean to hide it under the hood so you dont open the hood and see this huge orange or red or blue wire there ya know

All my wires for everything aftermarket is black wire loomed. Open my hood & nothing but the Red Top sticks out. Looks so factory.

I have a pretty good 1/0 guage wire made by I think Monster Cable, it is Brown, I am in Japan right now so I cant look at it exactly. I am assuming it is Monster Cable. I paid 1.25 a foot at a local car audio store called Tweeter.

LCPL DOZIER said:
I have a pretty good 1/0 guage wire made by I think Monster Cable, it is Brown, I am in Japan right now so I cant look at it exactly. I am assuming it is Monster Cable. I paid 1.25 a foot at a local car audio store called Tweeter.

damn, that's cheap. usually it's around $5-$8/ft.

Hey Dozier when are you getting back and does Tweeter have it in red 0 gauge at that price?

they could probably get it in red if you wanted it. it is a home theater and car audio store in Alabama. May even have a website i am not sure but it is spelled. "Tweeter" look it up on google and maybe you will find it. It was funny really, I walked to the back and they have three spindles with 4ga, 2ga, and 0/1ga and I just grabbed the spindle with 1/0ga on it and pulled the whole wire off which was 28 feet and bought it and everybody in the store was like dang what does this dude have. then the crowd came outside and saw the stereo and there was this typical shock and awe, it was great.

Unless you are running a couple of hundred watts, 0 gauge is overkill.

TeamPwnageBrad said:
it doesnt need to have a high strand count, thats only for flexibility reasons. OFC copper is just another marketing tool. Copper wire is copper wire... its as simple as that. you can go to www.weldingsupply.com and buy 1/0 for 1.25 a foot but it wont have the nice jacketing that "car audio" wire has. its just a solid rubber jacket. the welding supply wire is also very flexible.
agreed....cant beat welding cable for price and durability

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya think 2,200-3,300 is enough wattage

Back