• Register Today It's free!

Under My hood Help

xman98

Reaction score
City, State
home-Norwalk, CT school-Springfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
one of the lifts that raise and lower my hood popped out of its socket. I poped it back in when i realzed it was out but when i lowered the hood it poped rigth back out. Any sugestions to what i am doing wrong to fix it or if there is a bad or broke part involved???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not exactly sure how the Explorers are, but there may be a metal "retaining" clip that your missing. Look on the other one and see if there is a clip -- if so, you need a new one...which you probably cant buy but you may be able to find one.

-Drew

I think DMB is correct.
There IS infact a metal clip that holds the rod to the ball.
It is my guess that clip is feeling pretty lonely some where.

ok thanks guys i took the hydrolic off cause it was just hanging and it looked like where the ball goes into the joint cracked also as a result of loosing the pin i guess. Dose any 1 know how much it costs to replace one of the hydrolics. I'm think ebay is the way to go but any 1 got a ball park answer.

Thanks

New OEM about twenty bucks.

Be careful. When I had to replace my hood struts, I bought seom from Autozone. Went through 4. Finally went to the dealer. Appaently, the plastic used by the AutoZone provider wasn't strong enough to hold onto the ball / post mounted to the firewall.
Just a warning....
Karl

Don't buy these from Kragen or Pep Boys. These are junk... they pop off by themselves. Once it happened to me at a stoplight and it sounded like a loud backfire!! I returned the parts and bought from Ford at about $20 each

I also bought some at Carquest which broke almost immediately. I spent the money at Ford and I haven't had a problem since.

Back