91 Ranger driving me crazy

WHT91RNGR

Reaction score
City, State
Montville, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger 2WD
I am new to this board and need help

I own a 1991 Ranger 2wd 2.3L 4cyl. I am having some charging / starting problems. for some reason when I try to start it, it sounds like the starter solenoid is bad, I changed that and the battery and it started. then the battery died and it did the same thing. I changed the alt. cause the voltage meter jumped and it was fine for like 2 weeks and now its acting up again. I hooked up a scanner to the computer and it comes up with 2 codes one for the EGR position sensor and the other for the electro-drive fan or, converter clutch override or, throttle kicker solinoid. The thing is when the truck is running it runs great but when I turn it off I have to use a jumper pack to start it. Please help I am begging you I can't figure it out and the codes that come out don't make much sence...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i can almost guarantee its ur starter, i went through the same issue with my bronco a month ago, it would start the first time and then would not after it would turn very slow and the alternator would click. the truck like urs was able to be jumped off. if u take off ur starter and take it to advanced or autozone they will check it for free, but by the sound of ur symptoms i can guarantee its taking too many volts...MAKE SURE THEY CHECK THE VOLTS ITS DRAWING... as alot of times the lazy one if it turns they say its good

good luck

Sounds like the battery cables to me, starters usually work or dont.

bad cables = hard to charge battery, hard to hold charge, intermittant power issues, etc.

batt cables are also a possibility, i had the same symptoms with an ex and had to replace the batt cables. You would be better off it is the starter because it is cheaper than battery cables, hard to believe but tru! u have to get the cables from ford because they do so much stuff. i imagine u could rig something but i would rather have factory stuff. I would go ahead and check the starter though because it is a accuratly tested item done on a machine. Like i said i had the exaact symtoms on my bronco. the only reason i didnt do batt cables was because they were brand new, because of a similar prob months earlier. the starter ended up being the las thing i checked because i also figured either it worked or it didnt. By coincidence it finally crapped on the machine at advance

thanks guys for the info. it is very much appreciated I would have payed to heat that its taken me so long to figure this out i figured i would ask someone who might have had the same problem and truck. thanks agian I have the cables on order already but they can't get them so i'll get my 60 bucks backfrom pep-boys

off topic but i just saw ur from montville nj, my brothers dad and other brother live there, know a Bob Dallessandro lol?

OH my goodness, battery cables are cheap, especially for a 91. Any auto parts store can hook you up, you just have to know how many leads you need on each terminal and how long.

Or if you are like me you can go to West Marine and build your own cables for about $15 worth of wire and terminals.

Starters are about 80+

Dont buy wiring from Ford, build it yourself or use universal stuff.

The + wire goes to the power dist box, the starter relay and the battery.

The - cable goes to the radiator support, the frame (then to engine block) and to possibly another ground location.

This is not a tough job.
It is very common for high mileage trucks to have battery cable issues, even if they look decent.

i just pulled from a junkyard for free and sold the truck lol the ol explorer had a rough life, i wish i would have had the knowledge then that i do now though back then i wouldnt have known to do the cables myself or patience but auto-tech and workin at advance taught me alot

Back