• Register Today It's free!

towing

Noved87

Reaction score
City, State
Kelso, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
i have a 94 X Sport with a 5 speed tranny almost completely stock. i was wondering if i could tow a 84 B II on a trailer. i cant remember what rearend i have ill check later and get back to ya'll
-thanks Devon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not reccomend it.
4x4 BII is about #4000 +/-
trailer is another #1000

Explorer with a 5 speed = no way jose, especialyl that big of a trailer with a sport....

what about a tow dolly like you would rent from u haul or another rental place?

better but braking is now a big issue.

Also a 4x4 with a T case is nto a good idea to tow with a dolly, the T case does not get lubricated, so you have to disco the rear driveshaft on the BII.

Is this a one time deal or you plan to do it often?

the sports wheel base is not good for towing another truck.

Ultimately it is up to you to make the choice, but your clutch will suffer big time, your truck is not made to pull that much weight, you should check the recommended max towing for your truck, I think the 5 speed is like 3500#

If you decide to do it...
just a heads up.. uhaul won't rent you a dolly/trailer if you go there with your X. Bring another truck to get the trailer/dolly.

~Mark

my 5 speed(M5OD) with the 3.27LS rear end is only rated to tow 2900 lbs. Im sure it could do more, however the clutching becomes an issue, especially on hills. If youre planning on doing a short trip without hills it is doable, however I wouldnt make a habit of it

I wouldn't even put "tow" or "Explorer" in the same sentence. Unless you have to because you need a tow from killing your clutch from trying to tow something.

ok then. im also looking at a jeep comandchee (sp?) but i know i cant tow that. the only time i would tow it is to events but i dont go very far from town so it will probably only be done in emergencies.

Devon, look at Zuki's. You might be able to tow that with just a bar. You just have to keep the wheels on it so you can tow it.

Built Zuk's seem to go for as low as $2k and as high as $6k ready to wheel :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1797924451.186018172.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
    1797924451.186018172.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 201

Heres a great idea. Instead of buying a 2nd vehicle and possibly a trailer...

Take the money and buy a lift, and big tires for your Explorer, and just drive it places.

Problem solved! :)

People under estimate what our vehicles are capable of. Can it do it?...yes. Is it wise?...no.
If you were wired with controller and elec-brakes....and it was a one time thing you would be fine. On a regular basis not so good for your clutch, tranny, or engine.
I use to tow our 24' 3400lbs dry weight travel trailer with my 1994 2door 5 speed. Now, that being said here are all the extra's it took:
Electric brakes
Weight distribution hitch with dual sway bars
Helper springs
2core auto radiator
HD clutch
OEM clutch
(2) M5OD manual transmissions

The sport handled the trailer fine...actually with the dual sway bar set-up...better than many full size trucks I've towed with. The problem lies in the fact that neither your clutch nor your transmission is capable of substaining the added pressure such weight adds to the vehicle. My HD clutch helped tremendously, but nothing you can do for the tranny, and like I said I went threw 2 (now on 3rd) both during the 1 1/2 years I was towing with the sport.

Up to you...good luck

2 5 speeds in 1.5 years = under estimate what its capable of?

Sounds like it was not capable of.

Physically capable.....not mentally :confused:

*mechanically :D

thats why I said as a one time deal he would be fine...a sport is perfectly capable of pulling 4000lbs if need be, and no tow vehicle is available. It can certainly handle the weight...I had no problems running at 65mph from Dallas to San Diego (twice).
Can it handle the weight for extended periods or on a regular basis? Apparently not...as I learned the hard way ;) Good thing I was under warrenty.
From his post it is not really clear if he is wanting to tow the BII or jeep (which ever he buys) home from where ever or on a regular basis.

i would probably just tow if i break something and cant drive it home. that Zuki i could pull reglarly with a tow bar? i might have to look for one of those now too. as for building up my X i refuse to do that. it is in almost perfect condition (was perfect when i bought it) it now onlt has one dent in the middle of the hood (how'd that get there?) so basically i dont want to dent it anymore.

You could probably pull a Zuki flat tow style with a sport on a regular basis yes, BUT again with a 5 speed you are still pushing it.
The Zuki may also need a driveshaft disco so you dont destroy the t case, not sure though.
Braking and clutch would have me worried, I suspect a built zuki still weighs about #3500+

Oh and dont worry I learned the hard way too :)

Back