rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Jegs has some extremly low prices on cages. They seem lower then what I can buy the tubes for and make it myself! I bet soemone could buy one even if it did not fix your make and model, and with out too much work make it fit.

Also while on tubes, has anyone got any pics of a spare tire carrier in the back of a ranger type bed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OH MAN there are so many different spare tire carriers, vertical, horizontal, n the bed, on the cage, dual spares, single, what are you looking for?

I have seen the Jegs cage fit into a BII, pretty nice and cheap! But it wasnt tucked up into the cab enough for my taste

I'm looking for one that lays flat in the back bed centered towards rear, But its not perfectly flat, the edge towards cab is higher up. I was wonder how they secure tire to carrier. The ones I've seen pics of somewhere seem to have a threaded rod coming thru tire and then a star type tire iron screwed down on tire to hold it down. I would really like to see one without the tire so I can see how it's made. I was then going to tie it into the back roll cage supports. If I make any sense ?

You want pics of tire carriers similar to what you see in rangers...but for an explorer? Or you want pics of ranger bed cages w/tire carriers? single, dual,flat,vert, removable, what? I have tons of examples just need to know what you want to see?

I'm with 410 here, I've seen the made to fit cages...you will be sacrificing a lot of cab space. Not to mention "cheaper" is not necessarily better, especially when it comes to safety equip.
Plus, someone correct me if I'm wrong but the jegs cages do not mount to the frame do they...just to the stock sheet metal? Just do it yourself, do it right and weld it to the frame, and then at least you'll know it was done right.

prozachappy said:
You want pics of tire carriers similar to what you see in rangers...but for an explorer? Or you want pics of ranger bed cages w/tire carriers? single, dual,flat,vert, removable, what? I have tons of examples just need to know what you want to see?

I'm with 410 here, I've seen the made to fit cages...you will be sacrificing a lot of cab space. Not to mention "cheaper" is not necessarily better, especially when it comes to safety equip.
Plus, someone correct me if I'm wrong but the jegs cages do not mount to the frame do they...just to the stock sheet metal? Just do it yourself, do it right and weld it to the frame, and then at least you'll know it was done right.

No it's for my chopped B11, So I'm looking for one similiar to Rangers. I allready have a full custom cage. I just posted that for other people to look at. Need tire carrier in bed. Flat

PICT6283.jpg

Like this. I just have tire laying there now. I was wondering how is the tire held down. I can fab up some bottom supports. But was wondering by what means is the tire held down. Does any one make the part that goes thru hub? Or do I just make it myself?

They make a spinner you can buy, its el cheapo too.. let me see what I can find....

as for the Jeg's cage, they are basically pre bent tubes, you pick the number of floor attaching points and then you can add braces to the frame from the floor. It's a cheap and easy way to get roll protection, I just want my cage up against the cab much tighter and plan to go behind my dash as well instead of into the door opening area.

Most simple designs for tire carriers are just crossbars X with either a threaded bolt you simply fit the tire over and tighten with a large nut, or some sort of tire mount fabricated to the center of the crossbars. The possibilities are really endless. Here are a few ideas...the first pic is my favorite because it allows for movement if you need to use the bed for anything. Also: go over to the dezertrangers forum and browse threw the fabrication forum there are tons of pics of different tire carriers.

tirecarrier1.jpg

tirecarrier2.jpg

tirecarrier3.jpg

tirecarrier4.jpg

tirecarrier5.jpg

tirecarrier6.jpg

Yes most companies make a tire mount you can buy...but if you have fab skills and a welder it would be just as easy for you to make one yourself. You'll pay at least $50 probably more at any of the fab shops for a well mand tire mount.

yeah what I am refering to to buy is just the backing plate with the threaded portion that goes through the wheel and then the spinner that threads onto it. ,making the base is up to you. This sucker is made for people who are racing and need a quick tire change, I have no issue on the trail with using wheel studs and a couple of lug nuts, though it may not look as cool :)

What ever works :thumbsup: Baseplate/w either bolts fed threw...or welded to and a few lug nuts and your set. I've even seen guys fab plates using an old rear hub assembly.

Thanks Guys. That's what I was looking for. I'll post some pics with the help you all gave me.

Back