New way to remove tar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New way to remove tar

I washed my X today, waited way too long again like usual. I always have the problem of tar on my X on the lower panels. I always just leave it on there as I didn't have anyway to get it off. I hadn't gotten and tried any bug and tar remover yet. As bad as the tar was I kind of think it might not have done that much. Well when I was washing it today I still hadn't gotten any but wanted to get the tar off so I can claybar and polish it soon. I sprayed it down first and got whatever loose stuff off. Scrubbed the lower panels with a brush. Ended up scratching a bunch of the tar off with my fingernails. :rolleyes: So then I thought of trying the WD-40 to cut through the tar, and let me tell you it worked pretty well. I would spray it let it soak for a while, scrub off what I could and repeated a few times. It would desolve it enough that you could actually see tar streaks from where it was running off. I don't know what it would do to the paint and plastics. I kind of think that as long as it didn't have prolonged contact it would be ok. So after I did that I washed it. So now my X is a lot more tar free than it's been in years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

briwayjones said:
So now my X is a lot less tar free than it's been in years.
A lot more tar free, perhaps? :p
Paint should be fine...
Many, including myself, use it to dissolve emblem glue when debadging.

B94Sport said:
A lot more tar free, perhaps? :p
Paint should be fine...
Many, including myself, use it to dissolve emblem glue when debadging.

Ah, yeah. I'll see you guys later. I'm going back to kindergarden now.

briwayjones said:
Ah, yeah. I'll see you guys later. I'm going back to kindergarden now.
LOL! We all have those days. (Well, for me it's more like weeks, ;) but, what can you do?)

briwayjones said:
I always have the problem of tar on my X on the lower panels. .

Stop doing all those burn outs,,,, :p

Back