• Register Today It's free!

Keypad on drivers door

gforceman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited 4.6 V8
i bought my 02 6 months ago and when i first entered the code it worked NOW i enter it and it doesnt work. i tryed to disconnect the battery to no avail to reset the computer , what can i do to fix this ,, also where is the computer for the door interface is so i can compair the code thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The computer or RAP module for the 02+ generation Explorers is located right behind the 2nd row passenger seats on the C Pillar wall, you will have to remove the trim to access it.

some will never tell you to search, but it might be worth the effort:)

ya thanx

call the dealer that sold you the ex and tell him that you want the code. If he is a good dealer he will let you bring it in and the techs can hook a computer up and tell you the code in minutes for free. removing the c-piller trim isnt hard, but it is a pain.

I just bought my 02 last week and no one had the code. You really do not even need to remove the trim panels in order to read the code. What i did was to remove the weather stripping and then there is a little clip that is holding the upper (lighter colored trim) panel to the lower one. Remove this clip but remember how it goes back in. It will allow the upper panel to be lifted out and away from the pillar. Take a mirror and stick it in the hole you have created and write down the numbers. Remember they will be backwards. Took me about 10 minutes of trying combos to figure it out but it was easier than having to reinstall all that trim. My first combo was 6 1 6 4 5. Wasnt it. The next one i tried was 9 1 9 4 2. bingo. Just remember they will be backwards. Good luck buddy

BrandonB8 said:
You really do not even need to remove the trim panels in order to read the code. What i did was to remove the weather stripping and then there is a little clip that is holding the upper (lighter colored trim) panel to the lower one. Remove this clip but remember how it goes back in. It will allow the upper panel to be lifted out and away from the pillar. Take a mirror and stick it in the hole you have created and write down the numbers.

I bought a 2002 last weekend as well, and the used car dealer didn't have the code. The local Ford dealer wanted $107. :mad:

Thanks for the tips and tricks on locating the code, and thanks, Mike, for the website link. :)

There is a credit card sized card which has the code, and should be stored in the owners manual. Often people write it down somewhere in the owners manual. Good luck,

CDW6212R said:
There is a credit card sized card which has the code, and should be stored in the owners manual. Often people write it down somewhere in the owners manual. Good luck,

Unfortunately, since I bought it used there was no manual in the glove box. I bought an owner's manual set off of eBay yesterday to put in the glove box, even though I have a .pdf file of the manual. I like paper manuals, even though they're more expensive than free .pdf files. ;)

Anyway, I pulled the top trim piece back far enough to get a small mirror on the end of a stick down in the hole. I shined my flashlight into the hole (and off the mirror onto the module) and read the keypad number. Worked like a charm! :D

Thanks again!

J

Is the RAP module located on the C pillar for the 2004 Sport Trac as well? I was going to start looking for the code this weekend, but any help on locating the module would be appreciated.

Thanks for the tip. I just got an '02 with no code. I will try this when I get home.

i have the code and the card but the CODE wont work it wont open any doors , the bottom 2 if u hit them at the same time it will lock them ..

GREAT!. That did it. Thanks for the help.

It was farily simple and took a total of 15 minutes.

Blee1099 Thanks i found it.

Blee1099 said:
The computer or RAP module for the 02+ generation Explorers is located right behind the 2nd row passenger seats on the C Pillar wall, you will have to remove the trim to access it.

The panel he is talking about is the one the with the seat bealt, that you adjust up and down. On the rear of the passenger seat. Remove that panel. (Very Easy) the top part. Now look inside towards the bottom you will see a black box it is real hard to see the numbers becouse its on the front side not the top. I guess with a mirror you can get the number. I poped some of the bottom panel off. I was able to reach the box with my hand. (PS i am skinny) It has a nylon sleeve attached to it that i ripped out. It used to hold the creditcard with the number . The sleeve has the code on it too.I dont know if some other explorer will have the sleeve it might be sticker on the block box. In that case you will need a mirror or pull more of the hughe bottom panel off.

Thanks
FLEX2002

Jamo said:
Unfortunately, since I bought it used there was no manual in the glove box. I bought an owner's manual set off of eBay yesterday to put in the glove box, even though I have a .pdf file of the manual. I like paper manuals, even though they're more expensive than free .pdf files. ;)

Anyway, I pulled the top trim piece back far enough to get a small mirror on the end of a stick down in the hole. I shined my flashlight into the hole (and off the mirror onto the module) and read the keypad number. Worked like a charm! :D

Thanks again!

J
Do you have a link for downloading owner's manuals in PDF format?

the problem i have is i HAVE the NUMBER and the card with the number but all my keypad does if i hold the bottom buttons it will lock the doors thats all i can do with it - i cannot unlock any thing after i enter the number it used to work but for some reason it stopped ( just the unlock part i mean )

I found that using a shiny metal kitchen spatula worked well because of the natural bend of the handle.

Back