O/D lite flashes on all the time!

Ray from L.I.

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
95'xlt
I have 95'XLT with 140,000miles. OD lite has been on for about a week. Local
mechanic says tranny is on it's way out. Suggests replacing tranny. I will replace fluid and filter and see what happens. Had tranny replaced by Ford at 95,000miles. Have some slippage , but not serious. Truck has been good to me, and always reliable. Any suggestions ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try unhooking the battery for 5 minutes to reset the codes. If the light stays off and trans shifts OK, I wouldn't worry about it. The light on my 95 comes on about once a year. I've pulled codes to no avail. Reset the codes and it's good to go. Also, when the light is on, the trans goes into cripple/limp mode which makes the shifts harder. Not a good thing to do for an extended period of time. Let us know how you make out.

I would suggest getting it scanned for codes.. You want to atleast determine what is causing the issue. It could be as easy as a sensor or module. Definatley get it scanned at a local repair shop. When you get it scanned for codes, make sure you ask the technician what the code in case their diagnosis/repair doesn't resolve the issue.

I'm with marragtop on this. My 95 had the light blink, I unhooked the battery and reset the code and I've now drove it for over a year with no tranny problems and the light hasn't come back on yet.

I wish I was as lucky as some of you with unhooking the battery. Mine flashed and it was fixed $1400 and a tranny rebuild later. But like the guys above said, get the codes first. Good luck man.

Dosn't sound good :(

It doesn't sound good. Mine done the same thing. OD light started blinking and never would stop. I would clear the codes and in a few min of driving (BAM) that sucker would come back on. All the wishing in the world wouldnt help!!! After $1500.00 I haven't had any more problems. The only thing that bothers me about your situation is that Ford replaced yours already at 95000 miles ?? You really dont have many miles on this one. Mabe you will get lucky when you clear the codes :p
Let us know what happens.

O/D lite stays on(95XLT)

:) Thank-You, Problem Fixed, Followed advise,disconneted battery and re-set codes. lite went out , tranny shifting great. Thank You to two contributers to site and web master.Merry Christmas........

O/D lite stays on(95XLT)

:) Thank-You, Problem Fixed, Followed advise,disconneted battery and re-set codes. lite went out , tranny shifting great. Thank You to two contributers to site and web master.Merry Christmas........

Back