• Register Today It's free!

98 ranger front hubs

ron heasley

Reaction score
City, State
Carnegie Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ranger
My front hubs do not go into 4 wheel drive. When you flip the switch to 4 wheel high, the transmission engages, but the hubs will not. If I pop the hubs off and push on them I can usually get them to engage, but then they are stuck in 4 wheel drive. Does anyone have any suggestions????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Automatic hubs by chance? If so they are prone to cracking, breaking etc.
Either look for a good used seton this site or Warn makes a good manual set, not bad price either

I may be mistaken, but rangers '97 and earlier had the ttb, which have hubs. '98 and later don't really have "hubs at all." They have a cv joint, which basically permanently engages the front wheels to the driveshaft. Power to the front wheels is controlled by the transfer case. My guess would be that something is causing the shift motor in the transfer case to either not engage, or not run at all. I'm sure someone who knows more than me will chime in.

Gonzo said:
I may be mistaken, but rangers '97 and earlier had the ttb, which have hubs. '98 and later don't really have "hubs at all." They have a cv joint, which basically permanently engages the front wheels to the driveshaft. Power to the front wheels is controlled by the transfer case. My guess would be that something is causing the shift motor in the transfer case to either not engage, or not run at all. I'm sure someone who knows more than me will chime in.

Nope. Not until 00' did they do away with hubs. 98's will have pulse-vacuum hub set up, known to be very unreliable. There is a couple of ways to disable the system and have it loked in all the time like newer rangers and explorers.

1. Modify the hub like shown here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Apr04/offroad.htm

2. Change out the hub for explorer parts, basicly a bolt in and does away with the hubs entirely.

Either way will be a much better solution.

I have a good set of auto hubs for 2000 Ranger and will work with your 98. If you are interested, let me know. I choose option #2 and have the hub assemblies laying around the garage.

Back