• Register Today It's free!

4x4 lights flashing!

paperdesk

Reaction score
City, State
Inchelium, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer
Hi! My x is a 98 xlt that's supposed to have three 4x4 settings: Auto, Hi and Low. My problem is that when in Auto it never enguages, and in Hi it runs as if it's in auto! Low works normally.

Also, my dash 4x4 hi and low lights blink simultaneously several times, then go out. Sometines the Hi light will stay illuminated, but it's not consistant. Any ideas? My dealership said I have a 97 GEM (Generic Electronic Module) that a past owner installed and that it's a different model number. I called a junk yard to see about ordering a used 98 version, and the guy said that actually there is a transfer case controller that might be more in line with what I need. Any ideas? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

paperdesk said:
My dealership said I have a 97 GEM (Generic Electronic Module) that a past owner installed and that it's a different model number.
I have a 98 XLT with the 4.0L SOHC engine. Give me your GEM number and I can check if its the same as mine.

Thanks IZwack. I'm really interested to know if you'rs is different. So far this has been quite a mystery! Here is the info from my GEM:

F77B-14B205-EA

and UBCA75A95E90

I'm not sure which of those is the serial number!

Thanks,

Ted

here you go mate:

98explorer_GEM.jpg

Hey thank you IZwack. That's great info! It is definately a different number there, so I guess the dealer is right. I'll try getting a GEM and hope that works. Appreciate your help!

Ted

no prob.

Update:

Got a used GEM today and popped it in. Works beautifully, and, only paid $40 for a used one instead of paying the dealership $450 to do it :D

My only question now? Why would anyone have put a 97 GEM in my car to begin with? Was it only a mistake, or did someone think it would work better? My guess is I'll never know!

Again, Thank you IzWach for helping me with this!

Ted

No problem - glad to hear it worked :D

Back