• Register Today It's free!

U-Joints

skatermania88

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport
Ok so I broke my rear U-joint. I figured I'd replace both at the same time. So I went to get my new ones. The parts place had Brute Force U-joints. So I grabbed them. They say high performance. I was just wondering if anybody has tried them. If so... Any good or bad reviews for me before I install them???

Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of them. How much did you pay?

I've owned them before, they never broke but they started making noise after only like 5k miles.

I only paid about 30 for them. Noise??? Um... what kind of noise??? Were they atleast half-way decent? Any recomendations?

skatermania88 said:
I only paid about 30 for them. Noise??? Um... what kind of noise??? Were they atleast half-way decent? Any recomendations?

mine would clunk/dink under initial load

I run a company that is a Spicer WD. I may be a little bit bias but there is nothing like a Spicer u-joint. I also carry the Neapco Brute Force joints, & have not had any complaints on them. The Spicer joints should only run
you about $8 to $10 bucks a piece. :navajo:

andy_christy said:
The Spicer joints should only run
you about $8 to $10 bucks a piece. :navajo:
Where!!?! haha, sorry. I cant find ANYWHERE that sells spicer stuff. Of course, Randy's ring and pinion, AccuAuto, mom-pop transmission, or a likewise driveline shop usually carries them. But all those places want $20+ for a single joint. ...i agree, there is nothing like a spicer joint.

skatiermania88 said:
Was there any vibration?

No, they were actually a decent joint. They lasted, i was searching for other driveline problems, so i wanted to rule out the U-joints. Which in turn fixed a clunking noise i had. I still have them, and they are still useable.

I have had a set a of the brutes for about 3 years now and no problems. I havent beat my truck up that much though.

I'm partial to dana spicer's as well. Ran them on my old jeep and swear by them. They are harder to find for an explo...no local auto's are going to have them. I called my local driveline shop who uses nothing but spicer. They had them, think I paid like $12 each. Only thing is they are greasables, so you have to remember to keep them greased.

Grease is good. They all have grease in them, The Spicers just spend the extra money to put Fittings on theirs so you can maintain them with grease.
I've only used spicer's on my vehicles

Last time I replaced the u-joints the parts guy called it a small gm u-joint.. aparently a bunch of gm vehicles use the same joint (or so it would seem.. I can't verify that).. but i can't remember the spicer part number...

Autozone/checker etc didn't carry them.. but real auto parts stores (the kind shops go to ) had them.

~Mark

I've heard of brute force...heard they were crap but this is comming from offroaders who tend to be harder on parts that your average driver.

It is a Spicer 1310 series u-joint. The part number for the greaseable one
is 5-153X & the solid non-greaseable is 5-795X.
:navajo:

To correct this thing for future readers, jigoecam discovered that there are two U-joints on the Explorer -- the back are series 1330s and the front are series 1310s.

Back