• Register Today It's free!

A4ld Overdrive Gone?

mnm681

Reaction score
City, State
Corning,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
My 92 explorer xlt 4.0 stopped running in overdrive. Engine just revs, but if I put it in park and then back to any other gear(R,D,1,2) it runs fine. If I go to OD first and then try to move to another gear then the engine just revs and it doesn't move in any gear :confused: . What's going on? Can this be fixed easily? Will it cost abundle to have my local tranny shop do it? Can I just not use OD and everything will be OK?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now we HAVE checked the fluid level with the engine running, right? This is an unusual symptom. Sounds like either low fluid or a manual valve or linkage problem. Checked all external linkages?

Can you run it in D with no problem? Sure, you will have a 3 speed automatic and your mileage will suffer.

Fine in D, but not OD

yes, the fluid is fine and I can go in D no problem, but if I put it in OD at any point then it will not go in any other gear until I put it back in park and then go back to D or any other gear(besides OD) then it runs fine.

Your selector switch or the valve body would be my guess at this. if the spool is half shifting it would not create enough pressure from a hydraulic standpoint to shift but just circulate fluid. The clutches may be shot as well. This is just my guess not an expert opinion. Mine will not go into OD at all I run about 3,000 rpms all the way to work every day. taking it in tonight to have it looked at. It runs fine without just crappy gas milage.

I brought it in and they said it was internal, $1400 to 2000 to rebuild it, not before Xmas though, can't do it. The only codes that came up on the scan were O2 which I had replaced a couple months ago.It does drive OK in D so how long should I expect to go until I can't drive it at all? Anyone have any ideas?

Mine has had no overdrive for about 4 months and is still going but getting it fixed because my wife and I are having a baby in 2 months and I need to make sure it works for the ride to the hospital.
Good luck with yours

I cannot come up with a working hypothesis for your problem internal to the transmission. I am really curious about the linkage and manual valve.

If it seems to shift normally and run ok in D, go ahead and use drive. It's not hurting anything you just have a 3 speed. I'll continue to research it, but it is a mystifying problem - unless the linkage is somehow to blame.

Did you try to open the pan, and check the passage way of the selector shift shaft that slides in, and out of the valve body? In another post of this forum, it mentions a newer shaft that slides in, and out of the bore in the valve body that corrects some problem with fluid leakage as a result of the hole in that shaft. The newer one stops it from engaging anything inside of it in the park, and neutral position, and is supposed to help the transmission last longer as a result. If that shaft is plugged in some way, I think it might make some sort of erratic shift points when it slides in, and out of the valve body bore. As for the oxygen sensor code, disconnect your battery for a few minutes to erase that code from the computer's memory, and then scan the computer again after driving at least 10 miles to see if it came back.

Nugget head, what's the word on your trans? Have you had it looked at yet as mine has no OD either.

I still have available a 112,622 mile A4LD and 4x4(3.73LS) drivetrain that works fine. Regards,

We Need To Get An Answer

Yea, we need an answer, my X started doing the same thing, if i shifted into OD first it wouldnt go into ne other gear, it will kick, and the RPM's will drop, but its seems like it cant hold the gear, also getting a faint squeak noise when its trying to pull a gear...

But now, its really acting up, sometimes i gotta play with it go through the gears in different forms to get D to go, it never goes into OD nemore, theres nuttin worse then backing outta somebodys driveway to find ur self stuck in the middle of the road, and the person behind you seeing your reverse lights going on and off...

4mths ago the torque conv. was replaced, and the front pump seal i belive it was called...

IS MY TRANS GONE?

Busy Sorry

I did take it in to a local shop that i thought I trusted.......$78.00 later they told me my tranny has no overdrive or TC lockup. What a revelation!!!
I have not got it out yet as my wife and I had a baby girl on the 17th.
I bought her a mini van and I now drive her 94 ex.
I will keep you all up on the situation when I get to start tering it down.
As it sits now the tranny drops about 3 quarts out the front seal in about 5 miles. so at this point it is undrivable!!
Update to come....

I am having exactly the same problem with my A4LD. If you shift into OD even for a second, it won't move. Then shift into drive, and slowly get a forward gear. When the engine is revved up in OD, there is a rattling noise in the trans.

Thanks

I am Getting ready to tear out the tranny, I need to replace the seal, bearing and all the bands and seals, bearings and so on and so on.....
I will check the radiator. Thanks

Any updates on these tranny issues???
Nuggethead, how did that rebuild go?

Mark

Sorta sounds like the problem my A4LD gave me.. Then it blew up one hot summer day, and I lost every gear. I have my FM146 (Lack of research, and I was somewhat lied to, was told it was an M50D from a 92 ranger.. Found out it was an FM146 from a 84 ranger after the guy moved) in place, just need to either suck it up and buy that hydraulic line from a Ford Dealer (wreckers here say they dont keep them.. /sigh) for like, $180.. Which is lame..

Anyhow, I hope yours doesnt just die like mine did one day, and it if does, during a not so important week/period in your life. My advice, either find a new tranny, or buy a second vehicle and get a manual tranny if your attatched to your Explorer like I am.

Back