'98 XLT Wont start believe its the fuel pump, need some advice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 XLT Wont start believe its the fuel pump, need some advice.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Ok a friend of mine took your truck into the stealership for servicing. They replaced the fuel filter and did a "fuel injection service" (What does that mean?). Now her truck wont start. The stealership diagnosed it as the fuel pump. Is there anything to check like the inertia switch before she takes it in and whats a good price for changing the fuel pump.
Any other thoughts or theories please let me know.

The truck also only has 84,000 miles on it.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they took my truck? hahaha

fuel injection service could mean many things, but typically at the dealer it means they hook up the injectors and fuel rail to a machine that flushes them (I think, varies from dealer to dealer based on their equipment)

basics = PCM tells relay to turn on fuel pump
Check relay, fuse and inertia switch first. Fuel pump = dorp the tank =1.5-2 hours of labor.
Pump at Napa is anywhere from $40-180 depending on the whole drop in unit or just the pump itself, etc.

With the pump not coming on a simple multimeter test from the PCM, at the relay, inertia switch and fuse can eliminate alot of questions

-webwheeler :)

the fuel pump on my 1995 died when it had 155000 on it,and it alwasy seems to happen as soon as you have a full tank...
actually in the 5 years that i owned my 1995 that is the only thing that ever broke,. besides basic regular things.

Check the inertia switch and the fuse before moving on. Check the wire if you are getting 12 volts to the fuel pump. See if you hear the fuel pump fire up when you turn the key to on but not engage the starter.

Is there gas in the tank?
Is the fuel cap on?

Thanks for everyones feedback and imput.

She had a buddy swap another pump in the tank for her for $50. Shes' good to go now.

Thanks!

Similar Experience

I had the same problem and it did turn out to be the Inertia switch. Good luck.

Back