94 Sport Full Width Dana 44 and 9 inch | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Sport Full Width Dana 44 and 9 inch

Ok it's finally looking like something. This thing should be complete by the end of next week, so I am posting this in the registry instead of the projects section, I hope that's OK with everyone.

Front:Full width Dana 44 from a 78 Bronc with 4.88s and a Lock Rite
Wild horses coils, custom drag link and radius arms. Bronco buckets and stock track bar.

Rear: Full width Ford 9 inch, with 4.88s and a EZ Locker, stock springs and 4 inch blocks.

No cutting down here. There are pizza cutters on her right now, but I'm picking up the 35' Muds tomorrow.
(dead links)
Thanks for looking!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my latest mod. It is a pinion yoke guard from Four Treks. Since the 9'' has such a low pinion it is vulnerable to attack by rocks whil wheeling. This little unit should protect it from getting bashed so often.

Attachments

• DSC02812.JPG
    DSC02812.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 6,227

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

you may want to think about putting the slip yoke up at the t-case, if you can... they tend to stay cleaner and work better longer... at least that is my experience with them... especially in the front

How can I contact "Four Treks" to buy a pinion guard like that.
I've been looking for that thing for a while now.
Saw some companies makin them, but not as nice as that one.

Info please.
Thanks,
-adam-

Thanks,

I did a search for the company but nothing came up. I never put it in the url though.....der. haha

Ordered one!

I was screwing around back at my grandparents farm, driving over some logs my cousin cut up. When I got stuck I jump out to see where i was being held up and that is when I noticed the yoke was sitting on top of a section of log. Now all i have to worry about is the driveshaft! They make driveshaft guards? JK

hey, im new to this forum thing, but have been contimplating this swap for about 8mo., i have the donor truck, a77 f-150, but i am curious as to do i need to extend the stock ra's to make them fit, or is it you do it for more flex, and honestly how much time am i looking at to do this, im thinking my 9" lift will work to fit the 38 swampers w/o cutting the fenders, please all comments and suggestions welcome by all

also has anybody tried the sas kit offered by fabritech, you can look it up at broncograveyard.com
by there instructions posted it doesnt seem to be all that difficult, please advise, am competent for this, just looking at time

If you have a complete donor truck I would not buy a kit you should have have everything you need, spend that money on selectable locker up front.
I sent you pm, as you live only a short distance away

nicholas moore said:
also has anybody tried the sas kit offered by fabritech, you can look it up at broncograveyard.com
by there instructions posted it doesnt seem to be all that difficult, please advise, am competent for this, just looking at time

the fabritech kit is for show vehicles its not made to be wheeled hard.

nicholas moore said:
also has anybody tried the sas kit offered by fabritech

I have tried it and now i'm over it...the money you spend just for their bracketry, you could easily purchase the parts you need plus the axle for the same price. Of course prices will vary depending what you put into it.

The Fabritech kit is built very well but does not flex very well since it uses TTB coils and the fact that it has a very short track bar which by the way, I had to trim the track bar bracket because the top of the diff was coming in contact with it. The radius arm brackets hang down way too low and will let you know that there's rocks on the trail :p With that said, check out the many axle swap threads here for some great info and save your money as far as the Fabritech kit goes.

does the explorer master brake cylinder work with the d44 and the 9inch? what about the ABS ?

The master cylinder is fine. You can make adjustments (change brake bias) to it if you have front and rear discs. The ABS will no longer work with a d44/9".

awesome! that is what i wanted to hear. got the axels unfer my 92 xlt and am curently in the process of puting the m5od in place of the a4ld. could you go in to futher detail on changing the brake bias

Well, if you search this site there is a full write up. Just search for rear disc conversion and there'll be plenty of info. Quick overview tho (as best as I remember from a few months ago) you pull off the brake master cylinder and there will be a rod that runs through the brake booster into the back of the master cylinder. Using a couple of wrenches you can adjust it in or out.

Ok, this is probaly going to be stupid.

But did you have to do any modifying to fit a WH coil onto the stock D44?

And what is the advantage of moving the axle forward and what other modifications are to be done with that?

If you're running a Bronco/F150 front d44 you won't have to modify anything to run the Wild Horses coils. If you move the axle forward you won't rub in the back as much. Much easier to trim the front than the rear. Also it gives a better approach angle. The modifications of that all depend on the setup. On mine, if I went any further forward I would have had to modify my frame (because of the bend for the steering box). Also I would have to build a new transmission crossmember.

Moving the axle... is it as easy as placing the top coil buckets forward 1.5"-2"?

Are you using the FW D44 coil buckets for the top or the stock Explorer buckets moved down a couple inches?

Mickey

Bump an old thread

I remember following along with this thread 3 years ago. At the time i never would have thought i would eventually wind up with this rig. Explorerforum has a weird way of bringing us all together lol.

Those that dont know, my homeboy sureshot40sw bought this thing about 2 years ago and has wheeled the piss out of it ever since. Its been on every trail at Hot Springs frontwards and backwards, along with a few Gilmer trips. Its not as pretty anymore as i think the only straight bodypanel on it is the hood. :p:

My plans are to lower it about 4", build a cage at some point, and basically leave it as-is. Sureshot cut the fenders out and stuck some 36" Iroks on it. I plan to do a few other little things to it but nothing major. This rig in its current state has hung with and at times flat out embarassed alot of built buggies. Its a shining example of how a simple built Explorer with medium sized tires can go anywhere with a decent driver.

If anyone has pics of this rig out wheeling, please dig through your old albums and post them up here as id like to have them. :)

WOW James. Congrats. How in the Hell did this happen?

Back