'91 Single miss 20-40 seconds after stopping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 Single miss 20-40 seconds after stopping

Hank

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
Got another odd one I can't figure out. Occurs cold or hot, in or out of gear.

About 20-40 seconds after coming to a stop I get one big engine miss/studder.

The Volt meter and the fake oil pressure gauge peg down to zero and then pop right up. RPM's dip also. But it does not stall.

However note, the radio and A/C do not cut out. Of course the lights are fine also.

No error codes or check engine light. Battery cables and terminals are 1yr old. Battery is 5 months old. Alternator brushes are 1yr old.

Any ideas?

That is really strange. Does this happen at every stop light you stop at or just ocasionally? Might be ignition related, at the key swith?

About 99.8% of the time.

I had a car with a bad key switch once, you could be driving along and all would go dead, including radio.

Go figure..

Have you checked all the vacuum lines? Sounds stupid but I had a Honda accord that would do the same thing, but would stall if you let it, you had to keep giving it gas to keep from cutting out, kinda hard with a 5speed. Turned out it was a broken vacuum line, only broke on the bottom couldnt see it on the top. Anyways, just a idea to try.

Back