hella 500 vs kc daylighters.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hella 500 vs kc daylighters..

i need some 6" round lights for my light bar and ive narrowed it down to those two sets of lights. anyone have experience with them??? which one wold you recommend?? all the specs say the daylighters are far brighter. any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KC,s are crap in my opinion. And I wouldn't think they'd be brighter at all than the Hellas. I'd stick with Hella

Daylighters are much brighter than the Hella 500. However you need 5 1/2" clearance (depth) for them. The Hellas are only 2 3/4" deep.
It just depends on what you want them for.
Long range/driving = Daylighters.
Fogs/used with low beams = Hellas.

another thing to think about is hellas have a plastic housing and kcs have a metal housing. i dont like the design of the hellas personally but have no experience with either. my procomps seem to be build the same way as the kcs from what i know and i like them pretty well

I love my Explorer Pro Comps, they are pretty cheap also and have done me good for about 7 years and still going.

Hella 500 Fogs give you a much broader area of light and they increase the intensity as well. The Daylighters will give you bright light farther though. Hellas=Bright up close KCs=Bright down the road. I have the Hella 500 fogs because I can use them with my lows, with the KCs you'd only use them with your highs.

I've had both the Hella 500s, and the KC Daylighters. The Hellas are pretty wothless, IMO, and the housing breaks easily. :thumbdwn: The KCs are still on my truck. :thumbsup:

Daylighters here too. I've had KC lights on my vehicles for the last 10 years. You can't beat the 23 year warranty on 'em and the light output is second to none.

I'll throw in a 4th (or 5th??) vote for the Daylighters. www.desertrat.com. $70 for the black or chrome, $99 for the stainless 150-watt sealed-beams.

-Joe

I've got a set of Daylighters. Run them with my high beams with 55-watt SilverStars. Can't beat them! They're soon to be my only high beams.

JC Whitney sells knock-off KC Daylighters in all the same variations, 100W, 130W, sealed 150W, chrome, stainless, black, etc, and the KC accessories fit them...I don't know if they are made by the same company but I've had mine for 2-3 years, just had them off for the winter (plow on) and they're doing awesome, no water inside, nothing. Think I paid $20 each for black 130w ones as oppose to the near $100 for KCs. As mentioned, they are big.

KC now sells their light in a slim design in fog, driving or spot in 100W & 130W versions.

Back