• Register Today It's free!

Autolocking hubs not locking

3DFanatic

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
Hey guys, I recently bought a 94 Explorer Sport. This is my first 4x4 vehicle so I'm relatively knew to 4wd mechanics. I was out with a buddy from work today in the mud when we noticed my front wheels weren't spinning. I left the window cracked after that and sometimes a grinding sound coule be heard from the front end (sounded like the tips of 2 gears were just barely touching). I took it back to the garage at my church and lifted one side of the front end and put it in 4hi. The driveline locked in and stuff but the hubs remained freewheeling. Any insight? I don't know if I should replace the hubs or what. It's the pushbutton transfercase if that makes any difference??

Thanks guys,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a common problem. I have to be quick because I gotta go. My 91 has the same problem. Just search around and you'll find a lot of posts about it, (including mine). Also in the maintainance area, there is a lot of info explaining it. What people generaly do is replace the auto's with manual hubs. There's a conversion kit.I haven't done it yet.

You have worn front hubs. It is very common and most people do change over to manual hubs. However, if you like the auto ones, most likely all that is wrong is the plastic spacer (washer) is worn and can be replaced with a metal one. Here is a post with pics on the procedure: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149326&highlight=auto+hubs.
Also you can check with Kris Guilbeaux, he is a mod on the board, he used to sell rebuilt hubs and there is always the for parts sale section of the forum as well.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I figgered that's what it was but like I said I'm pretty fresh into 4wd mechanics.

K so I just ended up installing Warn manual locking hubs... Everything's good to go. Thanks guys!

Back