• Register Today It's free!

Alt gauge pegs?

kyj

Reaction score
City, State
Manitou Beach, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
On my 94 limited when you shut the key off the alt gauge pegs all the way to the left and gets stuck you have to tap on it to get it unstuck after you start the truck.doesn't do it all the time but most of the time. Has anyone else have this happen or maybe know the cause?

I have a brand new alt did it before I replaced it and still does it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your gauge should peg all the way to the left when it is not running, what you've got is just a simple sticky gauge. Either the needle or a piece inside is slightly bent causing it to get hung up.

Mine does the same thing but it stays until it wants to come back. It may stay there for an hour or a week. Tapping on it does no good. Checked the alt and it is putting out the right voltages. All other electrical works fine.

Mine is a 94 Sport.

Yep, happens to mine too. Hasn't recently, but it only seems to get stuck on the really nasty hot days. Usually a *big* whack on the dashboard will do the trick.

Seems to be a common issue, mine does the same when turning the ignition from Run to Off or ACC to Off, a couple raps to the area right in front of the gauge with my knuckles will jar it loose again. I would have to check schematics of an ammeter but I'll bet there is a diode shunted across the ammeter terminals to keep the needle steady and the reverse current drop over time has caused a bit of a resistance breakdown. '93 EXP XLT 4X4

My 93 EB does the exact same thing. It goes back to normal when it feels like it and hitting the dash near the guage does nothing for me!

Back