Some one dented my door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some one dented my door

I parked my car on the street... and when I returned I found that some one had ran into my car with a bike. The Dent goes from the driver side key hole to about the end of door a little of a foot of dent. I would like to get it fixed. I was wondering if it would be better to get the dent removed with magnets or just get the panel replaced. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. 2001 ford explorer 4 door

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a dork back into mine while I was at work, so I know how you feel. I had to replce my door panel, that's just how deep my dent was. Ended up around $1900 with paint and labor.

Do you have paint damage?

If ya just have a dent, and your dent isn't that deep, try a plunger. I've seen that little trick work wonders. If you can get it out with magnets, go for it. You might also try one of those "we fix dents" places. Those folks have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves, and man can they save you a bundle.

A paintless dent removal place may be able to get it out. Quotes are free usually, so no hurt in tring that route. I had a nasty dent pulled out on my mom's car. Never know it was there now.

PDR will not be able to repair a dent the size of the one you describe.

Magnets will do nothing.

Check my body work 101 thread stickied to the top of this section if ya wanna try it your self. Other wise a body shop is your only option.

PDR will not be able to repair a dent the size of the one you describe.
Not true. A place that knows what they are doing can. I've seen dents that cover the whole door get fixed & look brand new. Bumpers, hood creases...Just depends on how good the shop is.

I can guarnte you. PDR ( Paintless dent repair ) will not be able to push out a dent that travels the length of a door. Trust me I know what I am talking about.

I'll vouch for MONMIX's credentials. He does this for a living.

MONMIX said:
I can guarnte you. PDR ( Paintless dent repair ) will not be able to push out a dent that travels the length of a door. Trust me I know what I am talking about.
I've seen it with my own eyes. Maybe the sheet metal of some cars won't allow it while others will? Don't know? The car I saw was a Honda Accord.
Yeah I'm sure alot of big dents can't be gotton out, but it's worth a shot for the guy to at least get a quote.

Some pictures of the dent.... Sorry they are not good pics
jjdent2.jpg

jjdent.jpg

No way in hell is that a PDR cannidate. lol

That looks like at least $800 at a shop. My friend had a similar scrape in in his door, but not quite as deep. That is about the price he paid.

That looks pretty deep, but doesn't look like any paint was scraped off. It looks like it might have come from a tire, or a handle bar of a bike. If you take off the inside panel of the door, you might be able to pop it out a little bit so it doesn't look as bad. If the paint didn't get scraped off, it won't start to rust. Maybe you could just pop it out a little bit, and clean it up? It won't be like new, but wouldn't look as bad either. You might even get a lower price for a repair estimate.

Jason94sport said:
I've seen it with my own eyes. .

Yeah well with my own eyes, I saw David Coperfield saw a woman in half but that doesnt mean it is possible.

yeah that door is spent.

I would put a door skin on it befor I would try to mud it.

hmmm...

That is a bit extensive for PDR, as people have mentioned.

I would still visit a PDR shop and see what they say. The last one I went to said that if he could not get the dent out, then no charge.

MONMIX said:
Yeah well with my own eyes, I saw David Coperfield saw a woman in half but that doesnt mean it is possible.

Hahahahaha

I can't believe what kind of a-holes there are in this world that could F someone's door up like that and then just ride off like nothing ever happened....
Hope you get it fixed up soon, surfin!

Same thing happened to mine, same spot too. The dude was drunk and hit it while I was sitting outside on the other side of the car. He fell too and I asked him if he just hit my car, and in Shooter McGavin style he replied, "....NOOO!!" :) It was too funny so I let him go. He had more damage on his body than I did on the truck. I left it since I have bigger dents from wheelin'. Good luck with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is one hell of a bike dent

Back