A miracle? Blown lower intake on a 1200 mile trip! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A miracle? Blown lower intake on a 1200 mile trip!

Alright, I took my truck with 200k to Fl April 16-22, 1150 miles one way.

Well, when we got down there we noticed a very minor coolant leak from inbetween the firewall and the back of the motor and decided to chance it back home. We started filling her up with water every 120 miles which quickly sky rocketed to needing 2.5 gallons of coolant every 12 miles after about 500 miles into our journey home. :eek: Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the capacity of the system is somewhere around 3 gallons?

After 600 miles it was daylight in Virginia and we stopping at an Advance. We bought a miror from Advance only to find water literally spraying out from the lower intake gasket; no I'm not talking running down the back of the motor. At this point the guy at Advance made us a "low pressure" radiator cap by cutting up the spring on a 13 lb cap in hopes of keeping the pressure down in the coolant system. He didn't even bother charging us, rather just wished us luck.

We ended up gathering up 7 1 gallon windshield solvent containers, 3 2 liters, and eventually a 7 gallon container from Walmart to assist in filling her up as often as she needed to be.

7 gallon tank we used...
dcfn00163zz.jpg

After dangerously pulling over for something around the 60th time in the mountains I realized how stupid I was for putting my cousin and sister at risk on the side of the road in the blind turns with cars blowing by sounding like "Nascar" as my cousin put it. After he said this I turned to him and said to my cousin "If we have to pull over again, I'm towing her home."

Your never going to believe this but we never had to pull over on the freeway to fill up again! The truck never came close to the H on the temp gauge from then on. No the hole definately did not get plugged, if you turned the heater on you could hear the bubbles going thru the core after 12 miles. We exited the freeway every 40 miles or so and filled up the virtually empty coolant system so as to not push our luck too far. As I would get out of the truck I could hear the steam hissing out of the giant hole in the back of the motor.

I knew that the 4.0L OHV motor was a workhorse but driving on basically no coolant for 600 miles without the motor overheating is incredible! At each 40-50 mile stop I would put my hand down near the lower intake to check for excessive heat - none! I would also pull the oil dip stick and feel the oil which was never too hot to touch. I'd also check for bubbles in it for oil contamination - none!

Keep in mind this was in the mountains. I attempted to come up some explaination with my cousin to ease my nevers and forget about the motor which could blow at any moment on the way home. Could it of been the synthetic oil? the low pressure radiator cap? (which didn't seem to work), the wind cooling the motor? We gave up and said to eachother "Don't question it, it is impossible. Theres got to be someone on our side."

I'm now debating on replacing the motor but am not sure if I want to after seeing the amazing amount of torture this motor can go through.

Now if you didn't think things could be any worse, they can. We also had a tie rod end which was slowly causing an increase in play in the steering. Not to mention, some bearing went out which I have yet to figure out which it is since I cannot drive the truck to listen.

My (broken) truck...
dcfn00175qd.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what sizes are your wheels and tires? those look bigger then 15" wheels

they are 35s on 17s...I didn't wanna go too big on the wheels and loose too much side wall but at the same time I didn't want some baloons sitting on my stock 15s.

We just replaced the lower intake gaskets on my brothers 4.0 in his 95 ranger. Took about 4 hours for us to swap it out and watch the NFL draft at the same time. I say go pick up some new gaskets and give it a shot. Worst case you are out an afternnon and $75 in gaskets.

Bummer man, if ya need a hand let me know.

I've seen MacGyver fix cooling system leaks with raw eggs and some pepper.... maybe that would have helped??

-Joe

That would be a very interresting episode to watch!

Especially if he can get it to clog a hole in the rear of the motor about a 1/4" in diameter from leaking which is like 6" down between the FW and the motor.

But than again it's MacGyver were talking about, if the water was leaking right into the oil he probably would have got the truck to make it home! lol

I forget the other details of the episode, but he was marooned in some deserted camp, and the only transportation he could find was an old jeep. It had a leaky radiator, so he cracked a few eggs into the radiator, sprinkled some pepper in it, and as the eggs swirled around in the hot coolant, they congealed, (kind of like an egg-drop leak-fix) and eventually plugged up the holes well enough that he could knock the tires off the bead and drive the jeep down the abandoned railroad tracks out of town.

That man was a GENIUS! He's the reason I carry a swiss army knife today!

-Joe

sorry to hear about ur truck

but i have to say ur truck looks amazing
i love the lift and the tires and everything
i want my truck to look the same!!!!
nice job

Eggs do work! I have used this to get me home before, but I did not know MacGyver had done it then again I guess their is not much he has not done. :confused:
Only thing is it did semi plug the radiator at the same time as it plugged the hole in the front cover but it got me home.

Nate

I do demolition derbies and figure 8 racing. I buy plenty of junk cars with all kinds of leaks. I have been able to FIX all radiator leaks with Bars radiator stop leak and slowed down all oil leaks with their oil leak product. But then again i only need the cars to last a few hours during the events so i dont know how well it would do long term.

Sucks to hear about that, but your truck looks damn good. :thumbsup:

i have to agree..sucks about what happend. but thats gotta be the sexyst truck i have ever seen!

When the leak was minor in FL, I wanted to avoid contaminating the motor with shards of metal and all the other crap that the stop leak puts in your coolant system.

I hoped that the leak wouldn't get much worse. The coolant system VERY quickly got down to needing a fillup every 12 miles. By the time we got the mirror and looked at it at Advance, there was around 1/4" of gasket missing from the rear of the passenger side lower intake/head gasket. I can't think of anything besides dumping large pieces of metal in your coolant that could help that lol.

Anyways, I'll be fixing her over the next couple days. I got factory valve and lower intake gaskets. These gaskets look to be far superior in quality than Car Quest or Autozone gaskets. They are almost all solid metal with rubber around the water ports.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Back