How old is your battery ?

Nasty350LT1

Reaction score
City, State
Just around the corner
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD
I bought my V8 AWD Eddie Bauer Exlporer new in 1998. I only have
37,000 miles on it. Never been garaged, always covered in my driveway.
I still have my original battery and it still reads fine on the display panel,
inside the vehicle. :thumbsup: Never once had a problem at any time.
I have heard from different people, that if you get 3, maybe 4 years
out of a battery, consider yourself lucky. But, this is amazing... :thumbsup:

P.S.
I use my garage which is "Climate Controlled" for my 1972 Corvette Show Car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3-4 years with normal use. Yours is obviously not normal use. I'm sure some batterys will last long if you don't use them that often

-Drew

Do you drive the Explorer much? Do you use a trickle charger or something for the battery to keep it up?

Batteries here in the Phoenix area normally last around 18 months. I've had my Mountaineer for about 2 years and already replaced the battery twice. Now it has an Optima red top, which is only 6 months old, but I'm hoping that it lasts longer than 18 months.

i believe the batter in my mounty is the original. Its gettin weaker lately, longer starts in the morning but i think its the original.

I have never used a "Trickle Charger" on my "EX" only on my 1995 FLSTC.
By the way, I have been living in New York for a while, I know those VT
winters would have killed it by now.

I always replace my batteries in all my vehicles when the full replacement warranty is up. Most or all of mine are three year full replacement so just after three years is up I replace them. Cheap insurance. I bought my EX 2 1/2 years ago and it had a brand new one week old Auto zone battery in it so it will be replaced before this comming winter.
I always buy at least one step up from what is called for. Too high up and your alternator may not be able to keep it fully charged.

Mine crapped out a couple of months back. Had the vehicle for about 2.5 years at that time, not sure if it was the original or not. Put in a Motorcraft, not a bad price, with a lifetime warranty.

Get an Optima and don't worry about it; they last for years and years.

my original battery poopped out on me in decmeber.....now i have a duralast...it has treated me fine for now(i will upgrade to a red top later on).

my red top is alittle over 2 years old.

my dads stock bettery lasted untill just last year in his '97.

aldive said:
Get an Optima and don't worry about it; they last for years and years.
---------
Al, I have been hearing about a lot of redtops going bad on other sites. My next bateries were all going to be yellow tops but now i'm leary about the optimas.

old mechanic said:
---------
Al, I have been hearing about a lot of redtops going bad on other sites. My next bateries were all going to be yellow tops but now i'm leary about the optimas.

I have 3 in the boat ( many years old ), a yellow in my Explorer, yellow in the Jeep and one in the buggy. Never a single problem.

aldive said:
I have 3 in the boat ( many years old ), a yellow in my Explorer, yellow in the Jeep and one in the buggy. Never a single problem.
--------------
I heard of some but not many yellow tops going bad, thats the ones I was really interested in puting in my vehicles. Thanks for confirming your good luck with the yellow tops. I may change to them. I should be able to get a few more years out of them and that will off set the price.

I've got the Optima knock off Orbital in my Ranger now about 5 years with no problems. However when I put in an Optima yellow top in my El Camino it lasted about 6 weeks and the replacement lasted about 8 weeks.

optimas quality seems to have gone done the tube recently.

I have the Optima D31M blue marine marine battery in my van. It is 3 years old. I've had a red top last 8 years, and yellow tops for around the same, or a little less. Lets see if this one lasts the same amount of time.

What is the model number of the Optima Yellow Top to fit my Explorer ?
I may just invest in one, before winter sets in... I would hate to get
stuck at "Sugar Bush" without it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back