• Register Today It's free!

1000 miles away from home...

XtreamX

Reaction score
City, State
Wheaton, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I don't post much but I do use a lot of good information on this board. I left the first of this month from wheaton, IL and took a road trip to belle foursch (SP?) South Dakota. Drive here was perfect. Tonight while still out here, my passenger (girlfriend) was mad at me and decided to put the truck into reverse gear....as the truck is still going forward at 30-35 mph. Wow, lots of noise and smoke smell. So now The truck bareley moves, adn I have no idea where to start. It is a 1996 EB 4.0 OHV V6 with 4x4. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. Sam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

women and thier stupid reasoning...step one..dump girlfriend. jk

I think your tranny is cooked. You would need to buy a used one from a junkyard or somethin if your where on a tight scheadule. A reman tranny will set you back around 1500-3000 bucks. It all depends where you get it from. A jy shouldnt charge you more than 600 for a used tranny.

Good luck.....so is she paying for the damages?

Firstly, ditch the wench. That is horrible. Secondly, get a new ride. Your '91 has probably seen its last road trip. It's a '91. Spend the money on something newer.

Don't forget my first comment. That is horrible, mean spirited and just stupid. My wife is sitting next to me on her PC. I read your post to her and her comment was pretty much identical to mine. Life is too short to be in a relationship with an idiot.

Sorry, finding it hard to sugar coat this!

First of all, dumping the wench may just make things worse. But its seems that it was her fault so you may need to persuade her to pay for the damages. Seeing how this on your 96 its up to you what you want to do. Anyway you fix it its gonna cost some $.

Sorry Celly, I'm going to have to wave this in your face. I've been caught not reading the full text myslef lately. :p

XtreamX said:
It is a 1996 EB 4.0 OHV V6 with 4x4.
As for your tranny, I doubt this will be simple or cheap. With any luck, one of the tranny gurus will chime in here soon.

As for the gf, I'm with Celly. Wherever you are, leave her there!

Does your girlfriend like to walk? 1,000 miles might change that. Do you have any family/friends in the area? Are you mechanically inclined? Have much time can you spare before you need to be rolling again? Does the truck move in reverse at all? How about manual 2nd? I agree with 97 v8 that a junker tranny is probably your best bet.

kfkodiak said:
Sorry Celly, I'm going to have to wave this in your face. I've been caught not reading the full text myslef lately. :p

I always read the profile under his name which said "''91". Even it is a '96, I'm not sure I'd sink that much into it either. You can get much newer Explorers for not much more than it will probably cost to sort this all out.

so on with the story...This morning I walked back to where I left the truck last night. Started it up, I now have all forward gears with a slip between second and third gear. Hmmm....there is a local ford dealership here but I am very concerned about giving the truck to them. with very little information I have given you, I was wondering if people would be willing to chime in which option would be better. 1. Its a ford ...Drive it back home roughly 1000 miles or 2. Jump ship and buy somthing else right here and now. (On a side note...Does anybody live close to where I am at? Belle Fourche, SD 20 mins away from spearfish?) Thnks for sharing this adventour with my fellas!

If you have a road hazard plan that will tow you if you have a problem I would say drive it home... If not you're taking your chances of becoming stranded.

you are taking chances......do yuo have reverse?.....if you dont have reverse it will be a pain to get into and out of gas stations(congested ones) etc...you might want to look at towing back or maby getting a used tranny there.

I think my lady would have found herself laying flat of her back on the side of he road while I drove off! *****. Of course mine would never let her hands stray into my space while driving for fear of getting them slapped anyway :D

^^haha.

But to the topic. I think its disaster waiting to happen. Going through SD i barely ever saw people and would not want to get stranded there. Cell phone reception is not the greatest too...I-90 that is.

Trade it now
Tell them you want one 98-01,with v-8, you might get suprised
Let them discover for themselves what is wrong with yours.
The v-8 is less costly in the long run.

Check into a hotel, tell her your getting ride fixed so she should go ahead and take a nap. trade for a new one and head home, alone.

jtsmith said:
Trade it now
Tell them you want one 98-01,with v-8, you might get suprised
Let them discover for themselves what is wrong with yours.
The v-8 is less costly in the long run.

Check into a hotel, tell her your getting ride fixed so she should go ahead and take a nap. trade for a new one and head home, alone.

GREAT advice. All of it. :thumbsup:

I say get ride of the ***** and fix the X... then sue her for the cost of fixing it in small claims court. I had a GF once who broke out all the windows in my car and the judge made her pay for it including the cost of my rental car while it was in the shop.

Its possible that there could be more damage than just the transmission. The torque converter and/or the flywheel could also be damaged. I would recommend trying to get a different vehicle for the drive home. Hopefully you have some cash...or someone who can help you out. Towing a vehicle that far will cost you a small fortune....then you still have to get it fixed. Getting it fixed there will likley take atleast a few days and could still cause you problems on your drive home. You might be able to sell it to a scrap yard for some cash if it comes down to it.

You could buy/rent a full sized pickup truck there and rent an auto transporter from Uhaul for about $320 one way from Spearfish, SD to Wheaton, IL. Just don't tell them that your putting an Explorer on it...its to heavy.

ok did some reaserched had the truck appraised did not make too much sense for the little, and I do mean little, they offered me. So I am going to do a couple of things before I leave tuesday evening for the journey home. By the way, If anybody happens to see a blue and tan EB heading eastbound on I90 on the side of the road, stop and say hi to me. thanks guys! BY the way, if I make it I will never own another vehicle besides the great Ford Explorer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you get stuck in Iowa on I-35 call me up, i'll pm you my cell if you want it.

Back