had trans rebuilt, need some info please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

had trans rebuilt, need some info please!

basil1

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I have a 92 Explorer and just had the trans rebuilt. While driving in OD at freeway speed (65-70) I can depress the peddle a little and feel it shift up(?) and depress more it will shift up again. In gears 1 & 2 there seems to be no overdrive (shift up feeling) 3rd will shift up once and 4th twice. There doesnt seem to be a 5th. How many up shifts should I be feeling in each gear? How do I identify my transmission to know if I have a 4 speed or 5?

The truck is new to me and unfortunately I havnt paid enough attention to the way the tranny was working to know how it is supposed to be operating. I just know that the power doesnt seem to be what it used to be and the overdrive doesnt seem to be working properly.

Sorry for the newbie question but I want the guy to get it right and I dont have enough info to confront him with. Oh, and sorry if it is down shifting instead of upshifting.

Thanks in advance!

L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The First Generation (91 - 94) explorers put the Ford A4LD behind the 4.0 liter 6 cyl engine. The A4LD is a 4 speed transmission.

Welcome to this forum! Your kickdown cable might need an adjustment, you could need a new modulator (check the vacuum hose for ATF), your bands could need an adjustment, you could be low on fluid, or your governor could be sticking. I would start with the kickdown cable first to see if that is what is causing the downshifting problem. Does this happen all of the time, or only when it is cold?

If you just had it rebuilt, I would suggest that you take it back to the guy who rebuilt it. If you tell him that you touched anything, they might not honor the warranty. How many miles did you put on since the rebuild?

BB, The downshift problem is all the time, any temp. Only about 500 miles since the rebuild. I have a call in to the guy already. Thank you for the info. I am curious to see what he is going to say!

L

Back