• Register Today It's free!

New Bumper

big351bronc

Reaction score
City, State
St. Simons Island, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Here are some pictures of my new bumper I just put on. Orignally from a late '80's Jeep Wagoneer,then on an '89 Wrangler,now on my Explorer. Still have some things to do - there are plates for the holes on the top of the bumper, and some tow hooks, and eventually a winch.

explorer_03.jpg

explorer_02.jpg

explorer_01.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah but it will hold up - ran into a big dumpster about 10 mph and dented the heck out of it an the bumper got a piece of green paint on it. not too bad

so did you end up having to use those two tubes?

Gives it attitude.

mitch said:
so did you end up having to use those two tubes?

yeah - it extends the top of the frame and the bumper sets on top of them.

Looks like you might have just killed your approach angle.

I don't think your air bag sensors are going to work properly with that bumper.
But I like it. It gives it that "don't come near me look".

Texplorer said:
Looks like you might have just killed your approach angle.

lol, ya thats what i was thinking, but i'm sure he's got big plans for it so it will be lifted and won't be so bad.

yeah, maybe killed approach angle but there is no lift yet so not too worried about it. strictly there for a winch and a little protection for getting out of sticky situations while hunting, fishing, etc.

not too worried about air bags, never had them in my truck or bronco so oh well. . .

I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

That's hideous.

What Are You Goiung To Use To Fill The Sides Where The Bumper Should Wrap Around. That Looks Bad Being Open.

j602 said:
I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

That's hideous.
thanks, I appreciate that.

protection is one thing, but even the most hardcore of offroaders care about looks a little bit.

Here's why: That bumper was built for a flat fascia truck. You have a round one. The lines don't flow, and it sticks out far too much to be useful, in either sense of perfomance or cosmetic purposes.

Back