• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Factory Stereo

daveyG

Reaction score
City, State
State College, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I just replaced the factory Stereo with a JVC MP3/WMA head unit. Everything is working great and the sounds is much better than the stock.

I have an idea for the little storage area in thats in the dash kit and wanted to see if anyone else has done this and if so, I could use some pointers.

My idea is to place a peice of plastic over the opening that has "Explorer" cut out of it. Then put some type of colored tint on the backside, then using the two unused dimmer wires from the stock stereo to install a small light in the back. I thnk the effect would be nice and would add a nice compliment to the dash. if anyone has done this, I would appreciate any pointers and even photos so i can see the finished product...

I look forward to your feedback

Nope, but I've fiberglassed over an opening like that and put in switches for interior cathode tubes and exterior lights. Came out OK, the last layer of matt looks bad because it wasn't laid on flat.

My personal opinion is it'll look kinda tacky because you'll see exactly where the light is coming from and you'll easily see it's a light behind some tint. If you do it, make sure the light is a long one that goes all the way across the pocket.

Thanks for the feed back... My concern was that it would look tacky.... I used to have a '00 cougar and I ran across an article some where, where someone had done this... it looks ok in the pics... but the pic was taken at night so it's hard to tell how good the work was in the daylight hours.... I might need to expirement with some temporary setups....

Back