• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Run, Anyone?

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Ok, I had a blast last year doing McCalister Gulch, Ptararmigan pass and Mosquito pass... is anyone up for doing these or other "Moderate trails" again?

Last year myself and Brian1 (lead), Mike Boyle Rhino (Ryan), AspenX, Makiavelli, and a few others did these trails, would you guys or any others be up for a weekend trail run near Leadville or other?!

Let me know, guys I gotta go wheelin', after Moab.... I got my eyes on seeing some more 4-lo time!! If no-one else will ante up I will head it up..... so????!!! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I won't be able to do any wheeling until late this summer (August) since I'm in the process of moving into a new place and have to recover from the money loss (deposit, rent on 2 places, bills, etc....). If anyone is interested in a run sometime in Aug. let me know!

You know I got to thinking today of one place I have been wanting to go for a while now - Crested Butte/Marble/Gunnison area (Area 2, pg 93 Wells book). I am also planning on doing Blanca in the Fall with the Jeep, I talked to Marshal about it. August would probably work well for me since my Rubicon trip will probably not happen this year.

Brian.. I gotta find my other CO book, so I can research the area, not to sure how many (if any??) stocker/modified trails there are near where you and Marshall are headed...

but since I canx'd out of the Chinaman's run I was planning on doing... I'd be up for camping nearby or something else.

Douglas, the Blanca trail is definatelty not for stockers/super stocks. There is a trail in the Sand Dunes in the general area that is stock friendly however that wouldnt make for a good run because of the spread between them. The Crested Butte area has alot of difficult rated trails however I think they are doable with a super stock, at least I would try them in my Explorer. Never been to the area so I dont know for sure.

brian, my rig should be good to go by august if you guys wanna run blanca. I'd be up for that. I've always wanted to run trails in that part of the state as well.
it depends however on when in august.

An August run may be doable for me :D I'm subscribing to this thread.

yeah Rick, you need to get out to CO since last time kinda fell through

I'm in. I'm still fixing my junk after Moab, but it shouldn't be too long before it's ready to go.

Brian - I would love to go up to the Crested Butte area and wheel up there. My family owns a cabin about 45 minutes or so from Crested Butte (right outside Almont). Might be fun to take a few days off, do some fishing and offroading. Let me know if you decide to take a trip that way.

I'll go ahead and subscribeamundo.

Awesome... I'll have to see on dates... the 17th of August is my 10 yr anniversary so that immediate weekend is out for me, but whenever you all decide; I will make plans for it.

Ryan, glad to hear that you're at CO school of Mines. great school and Eng. program :thumbsup:

Rick, hey we will have you up here again yet... with no Emergencies!! ;)

*wishing she could move out there a HELL of a lot sooner than next fall :fire:*

You guys don't know how lucky you are to have so many trails (and they're FREE!) in Colorado :p

Any Chance you can tell me where in CO this is? No one ever says where in which state. I need to know if it is to far or even worth the drive.
Thanx guys, Jared G.

you are coming to CO next fall?
I am marking my calendar......

Spas said:
*wishing she could move out there a HELL of a lot sooner than next fall :fire:*

You guys don't know how lucky you are to have so many trails (and they're FREE!) in Colorado :p

yes i do, i know exactly how lucky i am to be in colorado..

i used to live in texas :D

TwoToneX said:

Oooooooo :eek: you better hope none of the Texas crew sees that, lmao :D

I too would like to come down for an explorer run, provided my truck is running good, and it is a weekend.

Tim

TwoToneX said:

TURD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey David, where would be some good places to stay around Aspen/Crested Butte/Gunnison area both hotels/motels/camping? I have been looking online at the chamber of commerce websites and there does not appear to be any 'name brand' hotels in the area. I have found rooms from low 100's per night up to $1100 for 3 nights :eek: I havent seen any camping listings but then again I have not been looking for them. Maybe we could all crash at 2 Tones cabin :D

I have also been looking through the Wells book and there is definately a solid 2 days of good wheeling right there. Most of it will be rated difficult and there is a few easy trails that could be an option for stockers. The difficult stuff on one of the days will probably be at the high end capability of the super stocks, Mike excluded LOL. Also with the snow load Colorado received this year one or 2 of the trails may be impassable even well into August. I will be checking CO4x4 for trail reports.

There are other options out there too such as the Colorado Springs area trails and the Salida area again since it has been 2 or 3 years (We just won't eat at the Pizza hut this time).

I definately want to take the Explorer up to CO again this year since it has become a tradition. Blanca would be a seperate trip for me and those who have expressed interest I would let know if/when I would plan that.

Back